Looking for blue, orange or other off beat coloured shotshells

Empir3

Regular
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just like the title states, I am looking for an odd colour of 12ga hull/shell, different from the usual, black, red, green hulls. I am looking to make my own dummy/practice rounds and want a colour of hull that I will not easily mistake for my std shells, which are red AA and black rem, and some green w/ buck shot.

Any input would be appreciates.

Cheers,

Derek
 
Spray paint.

How durable would spray paint be? Wouldn't it just scrape off after a few cycles through the action?

Head to the skeet area of your local range. Look in the big piles of shells, there should be any color you need.

At my range, Barrie Gun Club, where I shoot skeet weekly there is a pick up after yourself policy in effect on all ranges, so there are no piles of hulls for me to look through and grab what I like. Not to mention most are shooting the std red AA, burgandy Federal, or black Remingtons. All of which I reload for live use regularly.

Both solid ideas, but the hunt is still on. I have seen photos of shotguns with white shells and blue shells in the side saddles.
 
You won't be putting a primer in a DP round. However, Remington makes a 12 guage, 2 3/4", target load(Nitro 27) with a goldish coloured hull. Hate to think what they sell for though.
 
I found some Fiocchi empty hulls that come in all sorts of colours, I am feeling the Orange, followed closely buy the clear... my only issue is they are US dealers, and I do not think that Fiocchi hulls take Remington primers or wads. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

Let me expand on this just a little, the plan is to insert a spent/fired primer in the hull, leave the powder out, insert the wad and about an ounce of shot, then crimp to close. As a final precaution I would drill a few small holes through the space where the powder should be, to be completely sure there was no chance of it going bang.
 
For all of the trouble your spending trying to find different colors and then loading components into them.. why wouldn't you just buy some snap caps?
 
I suppose I could do that, but I have read that 870's just chew snap caps up pretty quickly as they are only plastic or cheap metal. Once I find they hulls I am looking for, it's no trouble to load them minus the powder as I already reload my own shells. Also, now that I've got this idea in my head, I want to see it through and make my own "snap caps", take a lil pride in making them myself.
 
I've seen home-made snap caps and dummy rounds where the builder just filled in the primer pocket with silicon caulk. Cushions the firing pin and lasts a very long time.

I like your idea of homemade dummies in another colour. I think it is an excellent idea.
 
Old CIL Dominion shells are blue, I had a box a friend of my dads lent us with his pump. They are pretty common, and I would bet that some of the old shooters on here have a box or at least a few loose shells kicking around. Post a want add on the EE as well.
 
Picked up some blue challenger trap loads @ epps today, they should work nicely, still gonna keep my eye out for some bright orange hulls though.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Cheers,

Derek
 
Those have caught my eye, can you go into depth about them a little? Are they actual hulls? What is the one piece abs insert? Is that the "primer". are they weighted like a live round or super light and hollow?

Derek
 
Those have caught my eye, can you go into depth about them a little? Are they actual hulls? What is the one piece abs insert? Is that the "primer". are they weighted like a live round or super light and hollow?

Derek

They are plastic and hollow. The orange is an insert that runs through the brass and forms a primer. The clear/white plastic feels very much like a real shell's. Each has been through my 870's action about 100 times now without problems or signs of wear. The center is hollow so you could add lead if you want more weight.
 
Old CIL Dominion shells are blue, I had a box a friend of my dads lent us with his pump. They are pretty common, and I would bet that some of the old shooters on here have a box or at least a few loose shells kicking around. Post a want add on the EE as well.

I still have a box of #2 Imperial CIL, but they are not for sale.

Twenty years ago, blue was not that uncommon a colour. Hell, it was all I shot, Imperial IVI with plastic blue hulls, and high brass.

I sure miss those loads, they were well made.:(
 
Back
Top Bottom