I think I got hosed on some Pistol Ammo

jacky

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Location
in the valley
I am just getting into handguns and have a 9mm and a 357. I just enjoy going out and shooting, trying to become a better shot...etc

So today ( in Kelowna ) I went to a local store and paid $24 + tax for 50 124 grain FMJ 9mm bullets. The other source in town is about the same price ??
So I go to a few dealers list above and I see 9mm 115 grain FMJ for $13.99:mad:

Is $13.99 for 50 what I should be paying ?? What is the going price for 9mm or even 38 special bullets ?? I think I got sucked into "typical Kelowna" pricing.
 
That is a little high for the okanagan.I was in grouse river outfitters in Kelowna and they had it for 18.99 a box.I think dels in venon might be a little cheaper.
 
The most expensive Ive found around these parts is $20 for 9mm UMC's. I usually pay around $14-15 for 9mm. I noticed Kelowna prices were quite high, even Grouse River who are supposed to be the "bargain" store in Kelowna.
 
I go to 3 gun stores to buy 45 acp, cheapest i can get is wOLF RELOADS, AND THAT DEPENDS ON WHAT the store had to pay for them 16 to 18 dollars, got some norc factory ammo for 19 than tax, another factoey for 22 than tax . and some factoery ammo is expensive, some 45 acp is selling for 35 dollars a box, depnds on the maker etc
 
The most expensive Ive found around these parts is $20 for 9mm UMC's. I usually pay around $14-15 for 9mm. I noticed Kelowna prices were quite high, even Grouse River who are supposed to be the "bargain" store in Kelowna.

Grouse River was $20.99 for 50 the last time I was there a week ago and I bought the last two boxes on the shelf.

I am gogin to Vancouver in a week and thinking I will hit up Reliable. Anyone know what they have or have any better ideas ??
 
"...went to a local store..." Small gun shop? Prices are higher because they can't afford to buy in the quantities large shops can.
 
What do you want?

Cheap prices for ammo that they don't have in stock, because there is a North-American-wide demand-side ammunition shortage?

Cheap prices for ammunition that they do have in stock, but which is rationed so that you are only allowed to buy a maximum of one or two boxes - for they have other customers too - because there is a North-American-wide demand-side ammunition shortage?

Or do you want them to have ammo in stock, ammo that you are actually allowed to buy, even at a greater price because there is a North-American-wide demand-side ammunition shortage?

You can't have it all...

And I know which I'd prefer.
 
Last edited:
Grouse River was $20.99 for 50 the last time I was there a week ago and I bought the last two boxes on the shelf.

I am gogin to Vancouver in a week and thinking I will hit up Reliable. Anyone know what they have or have any better ideas ??

Try Reliable, Italian and Lever. Wanstall's in Maple Ridge had AE when I was in there last time. International in Surrey only has winclean left at $22/box I believe.
 
"...went to a local store..." Small gun shop? Prices are higher because they can't afford to buy in the quantities large shops can.

High is one thing but double +.....rip off. In fact I figured out today i could have bought ammo out of province and had it shipped for less :eek:

I am planning on going to Reliable when I am down next week becasue this is ridiculious.
 
Don't compare the price of 124gr to the way cheaper price of the 115gr stuff. Every place I've seen the 124 gr stuff has been far harder to come by and has been substantially more expensive. You may have paid a little more than you would've liked, but factor in the small local shop's price margin and the more expensive initial cost of the 124gr stuff to begin with and you really didn't get that badly "hosed." Of course, when you buy in bulk, you will get to enjoy substantially cheaper ammo. Bear in mind too that in the USA, with the panic buying going on, 100-200-300% price increases are not unheard of and some stores are rationing their ammo and limiting customers to just 1-2 boxes per caliber per visit!
 
I just tested the Wolf (re-loaded ammo) 9mm with 135gr RN lead bullets. I compared it to a number of my own reloaded ammo.

Wolf was very much better in accuracy. It think it cost me under 412 a box of 50.
 
jacky;

Did you even try or call Dels in Vernon? I know they were getting awfully low in their 9mm ammo a week or two ago, but they may very well have restocked by now. Prices were $14 or $15 a box. Can't remember exactly, but I know it was a lot better than $21 a box.

If you're going down to the coast though, check out the places down there for sure. Especially if you can get 1,000 rounds for $350!
 
Back
Top Bottom