7.62 nato belt ammo

luftmech

Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
YQR
I ran into a guy who had a box of 7.62 tracer machine gun ammo. It is just .308 but it is all on the metal belt with every 5th round a tracer round. He was a military guy and offered it to me if I wanted it.

What are the legalities on this stuff, should I be concerned as I am sure it was " surplus " from a training range day.

I am sure that it will be fine through my .308 other then the jacketed round will be a bit harder on the barrel life, just curious.
 
Well tracer is illegal for one thing, and if its DND, than its been stold from some base, course etc. and if its a box, than its 220 rounds for the old c5 or c6. It should say IVI on the base. Now the link, only if its pre 1945, than you can use it those mg semi's that marstar sells. I have picked up some DND 7.62 at some gun stores. and i wondered about it, was it sold by DND or stold. i would wash my hands of it, especially the tracer. of course the ball will shoot just fine in any 308.
 
Last edited:
Tracer ammo is not illegal, it is just not legal for gun shops to sell it but is fully legal to possess and shoot. I also wouldn't shoot it this time of year as they set fires very easily when it's dry out.
 
Depending on the headstamp and date, it COULD have been surplused out of the US and brought back to Canada. During the Vietnam War, Canadian Arsenals sold a lot of ammo to the US. But it is more likely your contact is selling you stolen ammo that was issued to a unit and not fired. The unit made a false declaration that everything was expended, maybe unknowingly.

A fellow named Darnell Bass was convicted and spent time in jail for a failed armed robbery. The evidence against him included comparisons of lot numbers of ammo issued to him while he was in the service and ammo (or was it pyro?) recovered at the crime scene.
 
He wasn't really selling it, it was offered up to use if I wanted to shoot gophers. I am aware that it could set fires if the tracer's went into dry grass... bails etc. I guess my biggest concern was if it was stolen from DND or if they let you take the extra's home at the end of the day with a wink wink. It is a newer box and not '60 vintage
 
At the end of any range ex or any other ex you had to give a declaration ' I do not have in my possesion blah blah blah ' I know of only a few legit sources of civvy 'IVI' the BCRA would hand out 762-51 at some comps
 
there should be a date stamp on the bottom of the casing, with the letters IVI, so what is the date stamp, should be two numbers like 73 for 1973 etc
 
I just got off the phone with the firearms office for Ontario in Orillia, and was told, Order in Council, order number 10, tracer ammo is prohibited. Don't believe me, phone your own provinical office.
 
I just got off the phone with the firearms office for Ontario in Orillia, and was told, Order in Council, order number 10, tracer ammo is prohibited. Don't believe me, phone your own provinical office.

The person you spoke to was incorrect. There MAY be a law against importation (definately manufacture), but possession and use is 100% legal.

I'm sorry - you're wrong.
 
Not trying to be a #### but the folks at the ont cfo usually couldn't tell their backsides from a donkeys. They are probably confusing tracer with incendiary or making up restrictions that have no basis in law.
 
tracer ammo

Not trying to be a #### but the folks at the ont cfo usually couldn't tell their backsides from a donkeys. They are probably confusing tracer with incendiary or making up restrictions that have no basis in law.

i would have agree with you on that one, i almost lost a 303 brit to the OPP cause they couldn't read a serial #.
 
Well I called the canadian explosives and icindiary/bombs place (the canadian office for explosive stuff) and alls they told me was that stuff that would blow up or is armor piercing is prohibited, he mentioned tracers were included but i'm not sure. So Is there any way to get tracer ammo in canada? Cause I was cruising midway usa and i saw some tracer .22 ammo, damn that would be fun to use.
 
Back
Top Bottom