Availability of 762 x 39

jgardhouse

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Location
Bantario
So, I'm after buying an SKS now - I figure I'll regret not buying one in a few years when a refurb is like 400$ !!!

What has the availability of ammo for these been like over the years? There seems to be alot of it around right now, but say in 10 years, will commercial stuff be available if the surplus stuff starts to disappear?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

JG
 
I doubt anyone has a crystal ball that can see that far into the future. FWIW you can likely buy a 10 year supply of ammo right now for a pretty reasonable price.
 
No doubt. I bet there are alot of people with a pile of cases in their basements.

Are there commercially available rounds available now in Canada?

I assume the surplus stuff now is good to sit for another 15-20 years?
 
Probably a valid question. Bottom line, particularily if U.N. oversears control trade of ammunition, (like they are attemting to do) is that some company in Canada is going to have to step up and make a long term investment in setup, to produce locally. Look at 9mm, .556, 7.62 x 51, etc. Not much coming out of the USA now, prices are way up.
 
"...mistakenly used commercial 7.62x39 in my cz858...which then caused it to explode..." Highly unlikely the cause. What brand?
Mind you, American commercial hunting ammo uses a .308" bullet. That won't cause any damage either.
 
Was Privi Partisan... According to the gun smith, the walls of the cases were so thin, caused the fist rounds case to seperate, and then somehow the second round got jammed into it, and somehow cooked off... my wife (who was firing it) was left with a blown off top receiver, a mag that was round w/ no bottom, and powder burns all over her face. Hand guards flew off aswell...
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975461-1.jpg after I put it back together... somewhat...

http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975558-2.jpg
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975642-4.jpg
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975596-3.jpg

Anyways... My gunsmith showed me a cross section of a surplus steel case, compared to the privi case he extracted from the chamber of the cz... There was a huge difference... Anyways, that was the reasoning he gave me... Still can't quite explain what caused the second round to go off, as the primer wasn't struck... Theory was that as it went into the chamber, the bullet was smashed back into the case, and some lingering powder ignited it... Anyways, end result was a CZ which is now being deactivated as the reciever is buldged out, and a wife who wasn't too happy.
 
Greetings fellow Torontonian! LeBaron in Mississauga has some ammo. I'm in the same boat. Just got my SKS on Friday, and spent part of the weekend familiarizing myself with it. Now on the search for ammo, so would you like to split a case with me? PM me if you're interested. Lawrence
 
Was Privi Partisan... According to the gun smith, the walls of the cases were so thin, caused the fist rounds case to seperate, and then somehow the second round got jammed into it, and somehow cooked off... my wife (who was firing it) was left with a blown off top receiver, a mag that was round w/ no bottom, and powder burns all over her face. Hand guards flew off aswell...
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975461-1.jpg after I put it back together... somewhat...

http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975558-2.jpg
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975642-4.jpg
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975596-3.jpg

Anyways... My gunsmith showed me a cross section of a surplus steel case, compared to the privi case he extracted from the chamber of the cz... There was a huge difference... Anyways, that was the reasoning he gave me... Still can't quite explain what caused the second round to go off, as the primer wasn't struck... Theory was that as it went into the chamber, the bullet was smashed back into the case, and some lingering powder ignited it... Anyways, end result was a CZ which is now being deactivated as the reciever is buldged out, and a wife who wasn't too happy.


sheeesh i use that stuff for hunting in mine hope it doesnt blow on me:eek:
 
Was Privi Partisan... According to the gun smith, the walls of the cases were so thin, caused the fist rounds case to seperate, and then somehow the second round got jammed into it, and somehow cooked off... my wife (who was firing it) was left with a blown off top receiver, a mag that was round w/ no bottom, and powder burns all over her face. Hand guards flew off aswell...
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975461-1.jpg after I put it back together... somewhat...

http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975558-2.jpg
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975642-4.jpg
http://www.gunforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1214975596-3.jpg

Anyways... My gunsmith showed me a cross section of a surplus steel case, compared to the privi case he extracted from the chamber of the cz... There was a huge difference... Anyways, that was the reasoning he gave me... Still can't quite explain what caused the second round to go off, as the primer wasn't struck... Theory was that as it went into the chamber, the bullet was smashed back into the case, and some lingering powder ignited it... Anyways, end result was a CZ which is now being deactivated as the reciever is buldged out, and a wife who wasn't too happy.

IT is common for VZ58s to have sticky chambers because most people don't clean their chamber. This can cause a case separation and stovepipe. I would be very skeptical of the ammo being the cause.
 
so far i have not had any trouble finding rounds for my sks, i found that if you cant find any at your local gun shop there is always a good gun show, and they usually have lots.
 
Marstar up in Van Leek, ON has crates of 1120 rounds for $195. not a bad deal. Currently, Milarm in Edmonton has crates on until the end of the month for $160, but it would be just as cheap to get them in ON than to pay for the shipping. That 's where I got mine when I lived in NS. and as for hunting, I just pull a couple o f boxes of FMJ and replace with hunting bullets. Zero with FMJ ammo, then check it with 5 rounds of your "hunting" ammo and away you go. I have rarely had to make much of an adjustment and that way when you go out shooting for fun, you can still ring the gong at 300 yds all day with FMJ and then go hunting that afternoon if you want. Enjoy.
 
IT is common for VZ58s to have sticky chambers because most people don't clean their chamber. This can cause a case separation and stovepipe. I would be very skeptical of the ammo being the cause.

thanks suprathepeg, i was waiting for someone with more experience to comment on this one, been watching it for awhile, as i also shoot the prvi partizan stuff in a few different guns. I was pretty sure it must be safe since its so commonly available, alot of guys must be shooting it. Plus, its the only way to get reloadable brass for the beast (prvipart or igman) , because of the stupid american export ban. I just wish i knew where to get some 129gr soft point bullets...

zeke, no worries on the .308 vs .311 bore, firstly all the ammo that ive seen is coming from europe right now, second, i cant vouch for all, but the bore on my non-res 858 is .312(groove diameter, lands are .300), and the bullets i just measured were: .3095 prvi partizan, .3100 barnes X, (i got the last box at epps and only have a handful of these pretties left:() and the czech surplus stuff measured .3105. they all shoot pretty well in my gun, and from what ive been told, it should be safe to be within a couple thousandths of an inch of your bore diameter...

im sure there is better info on this in the reloading section...
 
I find myself buying a crate every time I walk into Lever. Up to 8 now...I'll stop when I hit a dozen (maybe). The stuff won't be going down in price, so I consider it an investment.

I saw some Sellier and Bellot rounds at a local gun shop with soft points for $23 per 20 rounds.

May I ask which shop? I'd really like a handfull of non-corrosive ammo, even if it's over a buck a round...but I've never seen it for sale.
 
Back
Top Bottom