Help with old Spanish M/L

bobc

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I recently acquired an old muzzle loader that belonged to my late Father In Law. I would like to know what to tell the CFC when I try to get it verified. it has no rifling so would it be called a musket or just a muzzle loader? the bore measures .549 at the muzzle so what caliber or gage would it be? the lock on it is in rough shape can parts be had for it? and lastly would there be a brand name it went by there is none on it I can find. Thanks
IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg
 
I'd call it a .54 calibre, percussion lock, musket of an unknown make or model. Don't think I'd shoot it either.
 
It is a modern remake and will be shootable in my opinion. The marks on the barrel should contain proof stamps so it will be safe. I am guessing that it is .54 but just buy a .53 or thereabouts....ball, patch it and go. It appears to be in good order. You might even try it with shot. Sometimes these smoothbores will shoot a patched round ball very accurately at 100 yards. It is not an antique so you are correct to register it. Good luck. Dave
 
Even though the proof mark (3 circles) dates from 1929 - 1931 and is proof to 8534 psi, I get the impression that the gun was probably made since about 1980. I would refer to it as a percussion muzzle loader, smooth bore, 28 guage.

cheers mooncoon
 
I can remember International Firearms in Montreal selling these for around $29 back in the mid 60's. IIRC, a half stock model went for $19.95. I remember looking at one but declined to purchase it since it didn't come to my shoulder well (I seem to remember not enough drop to the stock).Although they were not by any means the epitome of the gunmakers art they would be fun smokemakers.
 
I can remember International Firearms in Montreal selling these for around $29 back in the mid 60's. IIRC, a half stock model went for $19.95. I remember looking at one but declined to purchase it since it didn't come to my shoulder well (I seem to remember not enough drop to the stock).Although they were not by any means the epitome of the gunmakers art they would be fun smokemakers.

That is exactly one of the smooth bore muzzle loadering shotguns that Century and International firearms sold. I have had several of of them.
The double barrel was about 20 gauge, the halfstock about .40 caliber.
The scalloped patch box (grease box) is memorable.
Clean it well and make sure the breech plug hasn't rusted. Plug the nipples and put about 1/2 oz of penetrating oil in the barrel. Set breech down over night and look for oil seepage around the breech plugs - if you got an oil line get a gunsmith to check it before you shoot it.
 
10X....would he not get weeping from the breech plug with any penetrating fluid? I use Kroil and I can tell you it would find it's way through most breech plugs which were not assembled with a sealant. If all looks well externally and the barrel is not severly pitted I would shoot it.
 
10X....would he not get weeping from the breech plug with any penetrating fluid? I use Kroil and I can tell you it would find it's way through most breech plugs which were not assembled with a sealant. If all looks well externally and the barrel is not severly pitted I would shoot it.

I've used WD40 overnight. A tight breech plug won't weep it.
I'm not sure about Kroil.
Have you tried it yet?
 
I cleaned the bore and nipple the bore has some pitting but dosent look deep. The bore is not smoth like a modren shotgun though it has alot of machine marks is this normal? It has been fired up to 2 years ago by my bro in law so the breech should be fine . any suggestions for loads? ill tie it to a bench for the first few.:rolleyes:
 
You can shoot a 530 roundball or shoot it as a shotgun, with roundball you can go as low as 25 grains of FFg or FFFg. Do you have all the fixins to shoot it ?
Cheers nessy.
 
I had one of the half-stock ones many years ago - my very first muzzle-loader. Anyway, to help you with your dilemma on description, it was sold as a 28 gauge single-barrel muzzle-loading shotgun. (28 gauge = approx. .55" ....)
 
Back
Top Bottom