Took my antiques out for the first time today. Colt 1873 SAA and 1896 DA in .41 Colt. I mostly shot the SAA, the five wadcutter looking holes on the left are from the DA.
I shortened the bullets by 0.10" so the rounds would fit in it's shorter cylinder (as opposed to trimming the cases), and shot it mostly one handed in DA. I used heeled base bullets from Ben on the forum here. Nice bullets, though crimping was an issue with the heeled base and I ended up modifing a pair of wire strippers to crimp them.
Shot smokeless
powder as I found blackpowder difficult and expensive to come by here. I used 3.8 up to 4.4 grains of Universal, chronied at an average of 393 up to 506 FPS. I thought this to be a little slow based on a load I saw for Universal in .41 Colt and had alot of funny colored unburnt powder in the cases, not sure what is going on there.
This target was shot at about 12 yards off hand.
I shortened the bullets by 0.10" so the rounds would fit in it's shorter cylinder (as opposed to trimming the cases), and shot it mostly one handed in DA. I used heeled base bullets from Ben on the forum here. Nice bullets, though crimping was an issue with the heeled base and I ended up modifing a pair of wire strippers to crimp them.
Shot smokeless
This target was shot at about 12 yards off hand.


















































