Man.. it' funny that you guys mention sellers being dicks on gunbroker. I once contacted this guy who was selling a gun that's clearly an antique on both sides and he replied by yelling insults at me IN CAPITAL LETTERS AND WITH FAR TOO MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! almost as if I had just raped his wife and de-virginized his daughters.
My message to him was very civil... "Sir, may I ask if you ship to Canada and if so, how much would the shipping be?", then I also explained the gun's status in Canada and the procedures I'd take care of on my end (RCMP letter), etc... I don't know what kind of stick this guy had up his azz, but he just exploded in his reply. I seriously hope he's not a USPS postman, lol!
On that note, if I were to buy any antiques in the States, I'd probably do it for cash at a gun show in NH or something... then I'd bring them back myself in the car. Shipping them through USPS just gives *some* americans the jitters, even though it's totally unjustified... plus the shipping/taxes costs are total bullsh*t! How can customs charge import tax on an item that was made in the States (even if it was in the 1890's?)? What about the free trade agreement, has it expired for some reason?
Realistically speaking, even if an american were to ship something that's
illegal in CANADA, what the hell are the canadian authorities gonna do to that seller? Criminal charges are not possible, as long as the sender doesn't violate any US criminal laws and the MOST that can happen is that the item will be seized at the border by Canada Customs... in which case the seller is not responsible for it and the buyer has to sort it out with his government!
Anyway... most of the stuff on gun broker isn't that cheap either. Personally, I've already gotten some very good deals from reputable sellers in other provinces and didn't have to buy anything in the States, all thanks to the magic of CGN! The regular guys on here are solid as a rock as far as antiques go, so there's no reason to be lurking south of the border to get a good deal. I don't mind paying a little extra in order to avoid hassles with idiots (like San Diego's Leo Hamel, aka Fairfa############... this is a guy who constantly screws Canadians over!). Don't forget that there are quite a few Leos out there...
