colt 41 1892 what are they worth? (antique)

starpuss

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.6%
146   2   0
Ok last month I picked up a colt 1892. Fixed it up a little and made it work. no visible s/n (looked a little like 13,### but real hard to see.) and the colt logo is there but hard to see. Bore is real good.

What would be a fare price to sell the gun for? (Need to fix my truck and taking 1.5 months off work for hunting so I need some spare $$)


Before
8832_281655485701_657550701_9170366_6980185_n.jpg

After dark cold blue
8832_282135140701_657550701_9177041_5872006_n.jpg
 
Get a set of 1892 Repo grips for about $30 will make a BIG diffrence.

Is the Frame altered under that Ugly rubber grip.
 
Wow, impressive save on that one. Does it function 100%, and have you shot it? It's a refin, so value is about half. I paid about a grand for mine, but I found it in the US and think I got a great score. I have seen them in the EE for around $1300.
 
Wow, impressive save on that one. Does it function 100%, and have you shot it? It's a refin, so value is about half. I paid about a grand for mine, but I found it in the US and think I got a great score. I have seen them in the EE for around $1300.

It function nice, the little spring that pushes the hand to turn the cylinder is a little week and should be fixed. Witch I have on order. . I never shot it with live ammo yet. (Tried with blanks)

I also have a box of lots of new n.o.s parts for this gun witch I may sell with it.

I am thinking that 600 would be a good price to let this one go for.
 
How do you know it's antique if, as you say, you can't read the serial number?

You or the person that buys this gun may be found to be in possession of an unregistered restricted weapon. At the least,a very expensive experiance, I can assure you.
 
In your EE ad. you mention that this particular model was made 1895 - 1901, and that the serial number cannot be read.
In other words, you cannot establish that the revolver is an antique.
Generally speaking, if antique status cannot be demonstrated, the default position of the "powers that be" is that the pistol is not antique and is restricted.
This is a real concern.
 
I know the police have a technique for reading serial numbers that are filed off or some such,

I think its like checking for cracks with a electric magnet and mag flux with a black light "something I did a few years back with a hoist inspection company"

Might be worth while to look into, or maybe even the colt company itself can shed some light and issue you one of those colt letters of authenticity I have seen with old single action irons.

Cheers
 
In your EE ad. you mention that this particular model was made 1895 - 1901, and that the serial number cannot be read.
In other words, you cannot establish that the revolver is an antique.
Generally speaking, if antique status cannot be demonstrated, the default position of the "powers that be" is that the pistol is not antique and is restricted.
This is a real concern.

Yes this is not good.
We dont need no bad press.
Theres no way to tell when it was made without a Ser #.
If CFC gave Antique status to every gun that had the Ser # ground off well you can see where that would Lead.

There were thousands of theses made that are not Antique the Ser # cut off is about 91000 last time i checked.
 
Is there absolutely nothing where the serial number is? The cutoff number for those guns is 91200, so if it appears to be five digits, two on top and three on the bottom then it is highly likely to be antique. Based on the earliest date being 1895 going by patent dates there is only an 11% chance of it being non antique if you could make out a five digit serial number. If you can make out a six digit number OTOH it is clearly a non antique.

The serial number for those weren't written anywhere other than the butt of the grip, were they?
 
Yes this is not good.
We dont need no bad press.
Theres no way to tell when it was made without a Ser #.
If CFC gave Antique status to every gun that had the Ser # ground off well you can see where that would Lead.

There were thousands of theses made that are not Antique the Ser # cut off is about 91000 last time i checked.

The gun came from a gun dealer in the usa. Witch on his "billofsale" states that the gun is an antique. But still will not prove it is an antique.

I think that unless you do something real stupid with the gun you will not have to "prove" to some one that the gun is a antique.

Now there are other markings on the gun that can be made. Out. Maybe they will help someone find a year? Like the markings on the side of the cylinder latch witch is a 2 digit # and from what I see all guns made after 1899 have a 3 digit #.

The gun was opened by Canadian customs when it came across and they let it go. So to me that tells me it is legal seeing all gun have to be check before they can pass customs
 
I recieved a responce from the seller that indicated he was not too concerned about the vagness of the guns antique status. I also alerted the mods a few hrs ago, but I see the add still runs unchanged.
 
Is there absolutely nothing where the serial number is? The cutoff number for those guns is 91200, so if it appears to be five digits, two on top and three on the bottom then it is highly likely to be antique. Based on the earliest date being 1895 going by patent dates there is only an 11% chance of it being non antique if you could make out a five digit serial number. If you can make out a six digit number OTOH it is clearly a non antique.

The serial number for those weren't written anywhere other than the butt of the grip, were they?

And yes. The s/n looked to have 2 #'s on top and 3 on the bottom but they where so week that after a light clean up they cannot be made out. (Also I have a pic showing it before I cleaned it up. witch I need to check on my cam to see how it turned out. witch ill post
 
Now there are other markings on the gun that can be made. Out. Maybe they will help someone find a year? Like the markings on the side of the cylinder latch witch is a 2 digit # and from what I see all guns made after 1899 have a 3 digit #.

Mine has a three digit number there, matches the numbers on the crane and mating frame area as well as the bottom of the barrel, and it was made in 1897.
 
I recieved a responce from the seller that indicated he was not too concerned about the vagness of the guns antique status. I also alerted the mods a few hrs ago, but I see the add still runs unchanged.

I am letting all buyer know before they pay or trade that there is no S/n on the gun. And I have this posted in the ad…
 
I recieved a responce from the seller that indicated he was not too concerned about the vagness of the guns antique status. I also alerted the mods a few hrs ago, but I see the add still runs unchanged.

ok i change that ad to this. and also there is no law saying you HAve to get a antique letter for a gun.

The gun has no visible s/n .the colt logo is there but hard to see. Last paten data is 1895 so if I remember right that would make the gun made from 1985-1901 there is no way to get an antique letter with out the s/n mark on the gun.
But gun was checked over by Canadian customs when passing into Canada and they let it go. So they must have a way to tell
 
The gun came from a gun dealer in the usa. Witch on his "billofsale" states that the gun is an antique. But still will not prove it is an antique.

I think that unless you do something real stupid with the gun you will not have to "prove" to some one that the gun is a antique.

Now there are other markings on the gun that can be made. Out. Maybe they will help someone find a year? Like the markings on the side of the cylinder latch witch is a 2 digit # and from what I see all guns made after 1899 have a 3 digit #.

The gun was opened by Canadian customs when it came across and they let it go. So to me that tells me it is legal seeing all gun have to be check before they can pass customs

USA Antique Status is not the same as ours they get and extra year being all of 1898.
our cut off is Dec 31st 1897 the USA cut off is dec 31st 1898.

I think your in a gray area Starpuss useing the Fact a American said its Antique and it got thru customs wont save you.
You dont Need a RCMP Letter but you better be able to prove its pre 1898.

The Ser # on the Bottom of the grip is the only way to date theses 1892s.

The fact the Ser # is Worn off might give you a break there is ways "they" can read that Number.
Its not Ground off on purpose just worn.

Try takeing pics of the Butt at diffrent angles sometimes you will be surprised what the Camra can show up.
 
Back
Top Bottom