type of powder

BB king

New member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I was just wondering what type of black powder i should put in the pan of my 50 cal lyman flintlock.......3f,or 4f.

thanks.
 
I have one of those and I think 4f is faster,but 3f works.
So does 2f for that matter.
Theres a lot of variables with flintlocks,you half to play around and find out what works best for you,I think.
 
I have a Lyman flinty like yours, except in .45 caliber and 3 F will work but when you finally get some 4 F and use it you will NEVER go back. It's virtually instant, perfect ignition EVERY time. I can get by with 3F but occasionally it's a bit slow or sometimes I have a failure to fire and have to recock and shoot. I have yet to have 4F fail to fire ever. It definitely is the way to go.
Al
 
I have a Lyman flinty like yours, except in .45 caliber and 3 F will work but when you finally get some 4 F and use it you will NEVER go back. It's virtually instant, perfect ignition EVERY time. I can get by with 3F but occasionally it's a bit slow or sometimes I have a failure to fire and have to recock and shoot. I have yet to have 4F fail to fire ever. It definitely is the way to go.
Al

I was able to get 2 pounds of 4f,tried my Lyman out for the first time this pass Saturday.......I was able to get about 15 shots off, all but one did not ignite the main charge, only because my breech hole was dirty,cleaned it up, re- cocked and she fired right up again.
 
Back
Top Bottom