Not your average Webley....

Killer Kanuck

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Location
PEI
This one doubles as a signaling tool. :D
I usually prefer blued guns to nickle, but from the instant I saw this one, the voice in the back of my head said "GET IT!!". I know the nickle's not original (and the grips definitely aren't - they'll be going as soon as I get some black replacements) but it's well done. Nearly all markings are still sharp, no flaking, tight lockup, really good bore. Looking at it it's hard to believe it's 112-115 years old.

007106.JPG


00693.JPG


00897.JPG


00995.JPG


01151.JPG


01350.JPG
 
Nice! One other thing that's really good about it is that the nickel finish will protect against oxidation much better than any blue, which is a big plus. Every single old handgun I've ever seen or owned that came in a nickel finish was in an above average condition.

As for the grips, I'd say keep the ones that are on there now. They go very well with the gun and are reminiscent of the "special edition" S&W six-shooters of the period (the really high end/special order ones came with ivory grips and nickel finishes). I think that was the whole idea in this case.. to make it look like one of those guns.

The collectible value is pretty much gone anyway because of the nickel, so you might as well keep the custom grips on it, plus they look very nice. Congrats on finding this nice piece.

:)
 
I wasn't aware that Liberace was a gun nut...:p
What a great, fun looking gun and, as you said, the work on it looks top shelf.
Congrats on it.
Blair
 
Not really a fan of Webleys but that one looks great. I agree, leave the grips on it.
 
I like the grips to. they only look good on nickled guns.
I had a Antique Comercial webley MKIV thats a MK4 and it was a Factory nickled gun it had black grips tho.
So some were factory nickled but that was Rare and only comercial models.


You should get a black set of repo grips for $30 and just see you might like the pearl better.
Very nice looking MKII.
 
awsome piece of work that ...im not a fan of dressed up guns with pearl grips ....but I'de leave them on look's great with that nickelplate.
 
Well, if that is a refinish job, it was well done. It could be that someone special ordered it that way too. Anyway, good find.

Unlikely... if it were chromed when brand new, then the proof marks would slightly crack the nickel, but judging from the above photos that is not the case (the nickel is perfect in and around the proofs). So, the gun was basically nickel-plated AFTER the proof marks were made.

P.S. Also, take note that the gun contains nitro-proof marks... which were usually placed on them in the early 1900's, long after MKII production ended.
 
If the grips were real mother of pearl, I'd keep them on the gun. But they're plastic done up to look like mother of pearl. I'll leave them on for the next trip to the range and see how they feel.
 
Back
Top Bottom