black powder

westwest

CGN Regular
Rating - 92.3%
12   1   0
what are the rules for storing and transporting black powder if someone wants to shoot at the range or on crown land? Is it perfectly legal to transport and have on ones person ? Anybody?

Thanks
 
Eventhough blackpowder is classed as an explosive, possessing and transporting is certainly not a problem. You will want to excercise more caution when around it. I regularly have between 10 and 15 pounds at home,and store it away from all other powders, primers source of ignition bullets ect.

found this info

Black powder and smokeless powder are not distinguished.
Primers include boxer style, berdan style and percussion caps. These are not distinguished and quantities are to be aggregated.

Storage by an individual who is not licensed as an explosives magazine:

at a home, a detached house, is not to exceed 10 kg in the aggregate
if kept in a separate out building dedicated to the storage of gun powder then the storage can be up to 75 kg in the aggregate (this is a detached store)


If you keep your gun powder at home then you must keep it in a Asuitable container@, away from other inflammable substances such as paint, thinner, lighter fluids, other ammunition and it can be removed if there is a fire. The container shall not be of steel for iron, it must be kept locked except when being accessed, only gun powder and primers are to be kept in it. Suitable materials are wood and copper. No iron or steel fittings. It must be scrupulously clean. The word AExplosives@ in large contrasting letters must be on the outside. A box of 3/4" plywood is recommended. This is what I call the Alocked box@.
 
Last edited:
Wow i am breaking the law as i have some black powder in cans stored in a meatl lock box with other ammo and caps and primers, I better get a wood box
 
Eventhough blackpowder is classed as an explosive, possessing and transporting is certainly not a problem. You will want to excercise more caution when around it. I regularly have between 10 and 15 pounds at home,and store it away from all other powders, primers source of ignition bullets ect.

found this info

Black powder and smokeless powder are not distinguished.
Primers include boxer style, berdan style and percussion caps. These are not distinguished and quantities are to be aggregated.

Storage by an individual who is not licensed as an explosives magazine:

at a home, a detached house, is not to exceed 10 kg in the aggregate
if kept in a separate out building dedicated to the storage of gun powder then the storage can be up to 75 kg in the aggregate (this is a detached store)


If you keep your gun powder at home then you must keep it in a Asuitable container@, away from other inflammable substances such as paint, thinner, lighter fluids, other ammunition and it can be removed if there is a fire. The container shall not be of steel for iron, it must be kept locked except when being accessed, only gun powder and primers are to be kept in it. Suitable materials are wood and copper. No iron or steel fittings. It must be scrupulously clean. The word AExplosives@ in large contrasting letters must be on the outside. A box of 3/4" plywood is recommended. This is what I call the Alocked box@.


Thanks for the info. If I were to buy blackpowder from a store do I need a suitible container to transport it or would it be legal untill I was able to store it at home ?

thanks
 
Eventhough blackpowder is classed as an explosive, possessing and transporting is certainly not a problem. You will want to excercise more caution when around it. I regularly have between 10 and 15 pounds at home,and store it away from all other powders, primers source of ignition bullets ect.

found this info

Black powder and smokeless powder are not distinguished.
Primers include boxer style, berdan style and percussion caps. These are not distinguished and quantities are to be aggregated.

Storage by an individual who is not licensed as an explosives magazine:

at a home, a detached house, is not to exceed 10 kg in the aggregate
if kept in a separate out building dedicated to the storage of gun powder then the storage can be up to 75 kg in the aggregate (this is a detached store)


If you keep your gun powder at home then you must keep it in a Asuitable container@, away from other inflammable substances such as paint, thinner, lighter fluids, other ammunition and it can be removed if there is a fire. The container shall not be of steel for iron, it must be kept locked except when being accessed, only gun powder and primers are to be kept in it. Suitable materials are wood and copper. No iron or steel fittings. It must be scrupulously clean. The word AExplosives@ in large contrasting letters must be on the outside. A box of 3/4" plywood is recommended. This is what I call the Alocked box@.

Would a plastic locked container be o.k ? ?
 
When in the field , carry what you need in whatever you like.
At home storage , the metal tin it comes in is a "container" , so a couple of pounds sitting on a shelf beside your other firearm gear is fine. If you want to go all out and build a box or bunker , that is your choice .

I've been into black powder for 35 years and have not heard of any gun rooms exploding from BP just sitting on a shelf.;)

I liken it to a can of gasoline. Use caution when handling.
 
Thanks for the info. If I were to buy blackpowder from a store do I need a suitible container to transport it or would it be legal untill I was able to store it at home ?

thanks

When you buy black powder in a store it is in a suitable container to transport it...
 
I've only had one can of black so far but I found it ironic that it came in a tin plated steel container. Just the sort of thing that the rules call for one to avoid. The steel that is, not the tin. You would think that it would be in something different given the storage requirements. By rights if that steel tin sits in your plywood and brass cabinet it's already breaking the rules.

Now I know that this isn't the case but can someone explain why it's safe to be stored in a steel can with a steel lid that produces a lot of steel on steel contact when removing and replacing the lid?
 
Yeah, but what about taking it to the range or a hunting trip, does it need to be in some sort of "safe" container ?

:cool:

Taking it to the range or hunting is still in transit. If you are hunting and stay some place other than your own home, leave it in the vehicle, as it is concidered still in transit.
 
There are photos on the web showing that black powder is not set off by static electricity. One photo in particular shows an arc striking directly onto the powder granule

cheers mooncoon
 
Blackpowder is very susceptible to static charge. The metal can acts as a faraday cage and directs any charge around the powder rather than through it.


That part I understand. I worked in electronics for all my working career. But what ever happened to the risk of a steel on steel spark. Granted the risk was far, far higher when it was iron against iron but I thought the same idea was still there for steel containers. Seems like if you wanted the best of both aspects that the containers would be brass or some other known non sparking metal. Copper, for example, makes an excellent Faraday cage. Actually ANY metal does. We could be working with containers made from aluminium, brass or copper and solve both the static discharge/Faraday cage issue and the ferrous to ferrous contact sparking issue all at the same time.
 
Back
Top Bottom