For my Shizze and giggles practice shooting 45acp ammo, I've not always had perfect experience. I tend to use the cheapest bullets I can find, which "usually" work really well. For the Gold Dots loaded in to the mags in my safe, I took about 3 hours to load 100 on the single stage. I've tested them, fired about 300 in total, never had a single one fail to feed, eject, fire, anything. I know they are 100%. I also never unload or reload those mags, I used them to help break the pistol in, but now they just sit and wait, hopefully forever. I have other mags to take to the range for practice. As it is, all the defense rounds I've ever loaded, have cost approx $150. If I were to have purchased loaded rounds, for the same number, it'd be closer to $500 or more, and who knows if there is powder in the case, or a flashhole drilled. Those are two problems I can guarantee with my life, that my rounds will not have.
Even Massad Ayoob, will conceed that reloaded ammunition vs loaded ammunition will not be the factor between a "Good" shooting or a "Bad" one. It'd certainly open you to liability in civil court, but you need to survive to get to that point. Even then, if you were justified, and had a lawyer that was worth the $$$, justice should prevail.