Pietro Beretta
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Ontario (G.T.A.)
.45ACP is my long time favorite caliber...hands down! and I always try to find the best loads for my .45's. When I'm at the range I use factory 230 gr. ball, but I also like to have several boxes of "defence loads" such as jacketed hollow points.
I think that one of the best loads is Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shock HP's. I like the heaviest loads being 230 gr. as apposed to lighter 185 gr. and 200 gr...which would be better for engaging targets at 50 yards to 150 yards (lighter, faster, more energy), but for up close and personal, the heavy 230 grain bullet is a must.
I found my new favorite .45ACP load
and it's a sizzling man-stopper...and it's HORNADY 230 gr.(+P) TAP - FPD loaded at a sizzling 950 FPS
Normal 230 gr. ball travels at around 830 fps - 850 fps on average, Hornady 230 gr. +P is pump'n out at 950 fps, nearly 1000 fps for the wopping 230 grain monster
WOW. If I carried a pistol for defense (god bless the USA) I would defenetly carry Hornady's 230 gr.(+P) TAP - FPD load. It also features a deeply notched jacket combined with it's velocity makes for explosive expansion and energy transfer.
Mind you this ammo would not be best for older firearms like a 1920's era Colt 1911 or some thing like that, but no problem in my 2009 KIMBER Custom 11
. Ellwood Epps in Orillia has a couople boxes left I think.
I think that one of the best loads is Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shock HP's. I like the heaviest loads being 230 gr. as apposed to lighter 185 gr. and 200 gr...which would be better for engaging targets at 50 yards to 150 yards (lighter, faster, more energy), but for up close and personal, the heavy 230 grain bullet is a must.
I found my new favorite .45ACP load
and it's a sizzling man-stopper...and it's HORNADY 230 gr.(+P) TAP - FPD loaded at a sizzling 950 FPSMind you this ammo would not be best for older firearms like a 1920's era Colt 1911 or some thing like that, but no problem in my 2009 KIMBER Custom 11


















































