.45ACP Defence Load...can you do better than this???

Pietro Beretta

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Location
Ontario (G.T.A.)
.45ACP is my long time favorite caliber...hands down! and I always try to find the best loads for my .45's. When I'm at the range I use factory 230 gr. ball, but I also like to have several boxes of "defence loads" such as jacketed hollow points.

I think that one of the best loads is Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shock HP's. I like the heaviest loads being 230 gr. as apposed to lighter 185 gr. and 200 gr...which would be better for engaging targets at 50 yards to 150 yards (lighter, faster, more energy), but for up close and personal, the heavy 230 grain bullet is a must.

I found my new favorite .45ACP load:dancingbanana: and it's a sizzling man-stopper...and it's HORNADY 230 gr.(+P) TAP - FPD loaded at a sizzling 950 FPS:eek: Normal 230 gr. ball travels at around 830 fps - 850 fps on average, Hornady 230 gr. +P is pump'n out at 950 fps, nearly 1000 fps for the wopping 230 grain monster:eek: WOW. If I carried a pistol for defense (god bless the USA) I would defenetly carry Hornady's 230 gr.(+P) TAP - FPD load. It also features a deeply notched jacket combined with it's velocity makes for explosive expansion and energy transfer.

Mind you this ammo would not be best for older firearms like a 1920's era Colt 1911 or some thing like that, but no problem in my 2009 KIMBER Custom 11 :). Ellwood Epps in Orillia has a couople boxes left I think.

HornadyP007.jpg

HornadyP002-1.jpg

HornadyP006.jpg

HornadyP001.jpg
 
I would stick to standard pressure in .45 ACP for defensive use. Expansion is comparable and the lower recoil and muzzle blast make for faster follow up shots.
 
Just a general question on thiese loads .... wouldn't there be a danger of 'over penetration' with a 45? Sure would have stopping power but what about some innocent party beyond the bad guy?
 
The first rule of defence that I was taught was...never use re-loads when your future well being depends on it! Commercial/military ammo is made to a standard where it will go "bang" instead of "click".
 
The first rule of defence that I was taught was...never use re-loads when your future well being depends on it! Commercial/military ammo is made to a standard where it will go "bang" instead of "click".

I'd amend that to "never use poorly made ammo when your life depends on it"

handloads can be just as reliable as factory ammo.
 
A .45ACP in any configuration or bullet weight will stop any man!! If this would be 9mm I'd say 125gr+P would be my choice but in this case a surplus round would do the job.
I think this thread is aimed at a perfect round for protection.
 
There was a recent article comparing the hornady and the federal in a magazine I just got. It was a pretty good read, but can't remember exactly what magazine it was from.

The two took pretty different stances....one bullet had limited penetration (presumable to lessen post shooting legal liability) and the other had extremely decent penetration. The article talked about the two different mentalities at each company.
 
I'd amend that to "never use poorly made ammo when your life depends on it"

handloads can be just as reliable as factory ammo.

Commercial/military ammo is sealed at the primer and case mouth to prevent water and oils/solvents from entering and killing the primer/powder.

Would you trust your life to less than perfect ammo? How many rounds do you need? The average number of rounds in personal defense situations is less than 3. Buy the best ammo you can find for serious use, it is cheap and it works every time.

Handloads are a liability in court after the serious use. Read The Truth About Self-Protection by Massad Ayoob.

My $00.02
 
Handloads are a liability in court after the serious use. Read The Truth About Self-Protection by Massad Ayoob.

My $00.02

Intent to defend the self when all else is likely to fail is not a crime. Thinking to the contrary is the paradigm that got us where we are today.
 
A bullet is a bullet FFS. I'd trust my handloads over any personal protection ammo. The only squib I've ever had (actually 2) was with very pricey self defense ammo...

PS... 45 is for people who haven't discovered 10mm.
 
A bullet is a bullet FFS. I'd trust my handloads over any personal protection ammo. The only squib I've ever had (actually 2) was with very pricey self defense ammo...

This would seem unlikely, but possible...
 
Back
Top Bottom