Muzzleloader and powder scale/measure questions?

sms0000

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
167   0   3
Location
Eastern Ontario
I have a new Omega SS/Laminate and I also purchased some Blackhorn 209 powder as this seems to be all the rage online and in the magazines I've read. I do not reload so I have no powder measure or scales. What is the simplest and most cost effective way to measure powder? Scales seem to be a little cheaper and have no idea how a powder measure works so??
 
Do not measure by weight, only by volume. With real black powder the weight / volume ratio is almost equal but with substitute powders you could be over charging if using weight. You should be able to get a powder measurer for $15-$20.
 
Any shop that sells blackpowder guns should have them. If you want to know what they look like check out Track Of The Wolf. They sell everything a blackpowder shooter would want. I'm sure you can find one locally;)
 
Where would I get one? The only powder measure I have seen are the reloading ones RCBS...and such they run $100+.
Thanks

You are thinking about powder measures for metallic cartridge reloading...2 TOTALLY different things. BP is a volume measure NOT weight.

You need a black-powder measure...basically a brass or plastic hollow tube you set to the desired charge weight, fill with black-powder (or substitute) and pour down the barrel.

Any store that sells muzzleloaders will have them. Check some of the bow shops, some sell flintlocks too. ;)
 
Picked up a LEE powder measure kit.
Thanks

Post a pic of it. Pretty sure LEE doesn't make black powder stuff...

This is the T/C powder measure I use...I think it was $15

measure.jpg
 
CVA makes BP powder measures. Epp's is a CVA dealer.
Go buy a Lyman BP Handbook and Reloading guide. As mentioned, several times, BP is not measured in grains. It's measured by volume.
 
I bought the Improved LEE kit above and it has Blackpowder FG, FFG, FFFG and FFFFG specs on the card for measuring BP by volume. Why do you say not to use it?
Thanks

If it has the black powder conversions, you could use it, but you are taking the long way around the block...

With the types recommended here, you just set the stopper at the desired grain charge and pour it in. Then the attached funnel dumps it in the barrel...

Not sure why you would want to convert CC to GR/V for working up a load...
 
Do not measure by weight, only by volume. With real black powder the weight / volume ratio is almost equal but with substitute powders you could be over charging if using weight. QUOTE]

Just curious on this....I reload alot of centerfire and have RCBS scale/powder measure and everything. Here is my questions....

When I fill my black powder measure to 100grains of Blackhorn 209 (swirl charged to the brim and not at all compacted) and scale off the actual load, I am getting 74.25 grains. Is measuring by weight (knowing that the 100gr volume scale = 74.25gr) not going to be a whole lot more accurate and bring in my group size???? I poured off 20 loads into the volume scale and weighed each one and some varied by more than 2 grains (actual weight on the scale) and I can only imagine the variance in the field or even at the bench trying to pour off powders between shots.

So for those that know the actual grains in weight vs volume of grains...would this not be a whole lot better???

Ryan
 
Back
Top Bottom