Help identifying old German single .22

doubletap9

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
My bud picked this up recently, but we've had no luck id'ing it. I've never seen anything quite like it myself, so I thought I'd give you guys a shot .. :D

Has a "DHP Germany" stamp on the side, but can't quite make out the words stamped on the barrel. It's .22lr ...


P1020435.jpg


P1020436.jpg


P1020437.jpg


Tks .. :)
 
I have one here. Its a Deutche Werks. Good little gun. Belonged to my dad and was the first gun I ever fired. Very handy for carrying into the bush with its light weight.
 
WE still have one in excellent shape. It looks like they dipped the whole rifle in the varnish barrel. I don't know what is on the barrel. Neat guns though, they came in a short version too
 
its made by Heinrich Ortgies, of Erfurt Germany from around 1918 till 1939,.... Deutche werks just means made in Germany owned one my self to light a rifle for my likings but I liked the simplisity of it.
 
its made by Heinrich Ortgies, of Erfurt Germany from around 1918 till 1939,.... Deutche werks just means made in Germany owned one my self to light a rifle for my likings but I liked the simplisity of it.

Are you sure about that? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Deutche Werkes was the proper name of the manufacturor, even if it means "German made". Liken it to "American Motors".:confused: I certainly could be wrong. Some reference say Deutche Werkes made the Ortgies patent.
 
Here's some pictures of mine. My dad stripped the finish off it around 25 years ago.

1xdeutchewerks0001j


deutchewerks0001.jpg


It has an interesting logo with the snake forming what looks like an S or a D. Anyone know the significance of it?

deutchewerks0002.jpg
 
I've got a pair of them. One was my grandfathers and got used in the slaughterhouse to kill cattle for years. After he died I saved it from the scrap pile and cleaned about 50 years of "meat goo" off it. Damn thing shoots really well too... The second one I should have left where I found it. It fires on it's own without pulling the trigger...
 
had one myself years ago...cool little box lock job.

iirc it had a sphinx on one side and was originally issued to the German equivalent of the boy scouts at the time...the Hitler Youth.

but I have a crappy memory...
 
pre WW2 ...I find they marked alot of stuff that way.
after the war everything was marked (made in germany) or so I've found.
 
Thanks for all the replies and information guys!

He was wondering what to do with it, it's in pretty rough shape and he's not much into the type. ( but the deal was too good to pass ). I may have to give it a new home, it looks like a fun restoration project.
 
These were low cost .22 rifles introduced during the depressed period in Germany following WWI. Deutch Werk is the factory. DRP is Deutch Reich Patent - patented. "Germany" because they were made for export.
 
In 1890 the US made a law that all imports must be marked with the country of manufacture. Since the US was a major market manufacturers started to mark their wares.
 
Are you sure about that? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Deutche Werkes was the proper name of the manufacturor, even if it means "German made". Liken it to "American Motors".:confused: I certainly could be wrong. Some reference say Deutche Werkes made the Ortgies patent.

Deutche Werkes Mod II, was also the first rifle I ever shot. It was my Grandfathers , have one of my own now . Both -- very accurate.
 
Back
Top Bottom