Strange Caliber

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
Looking for some information on a strange pistol caliber. Recently traded for a belgian gun in the caliber and have seen one other in the same caliber. Groove diameter is .520" and total bullet length (cylinder length) is 1.45". The bullet is a heeled bullet and the cartridge is centerfire.
I can't find any reference to anything close in either Cartridge of the World or in Handloader's Guide to Cartridge Conversion

thanks mooncoon
 
to long a cylinder for 500 elly i fgger.
post some pics id like to see this gun.

might be some gasser caliber.
 
OAL of the .500 was 1.38" from Erlmeier & Brandt. Bt dia up to .524".

Well thats likely it then. I thought they were a short Round maby i was thinking 577 pistol rd.
There is not alot of pistol Rds that caliber.

Mooncoon some better more detailed info would be nice with pics to eh.
Is it a pre 1893 belgian gun or newer?
 
some better more detailed info would be nice with pics to eh.
Is it a pre 1893 belgian gun or newer?

First photo is of a French copy of a S & W double action in 11mm french ordnance. Unfortunately it is considered a modern gun because it was tested with type T powder. The lower gun is a belgian version of the same gun and I guess must be in 500 Eley. I think I may be able to make shells for it from belted magnum shells. They probably will not extract but they do have enough rim that they won't go through the chamber.
The gun is a pre 1898 antique based on its proof marks. It does have some subtle cosmetic issues and I will also have to make some minor parts for it :>) I do expect however to get it shooting at some point in the future.

Cheers mooncoon

frenchandbelgianpistolsb.jpg
 
First photo is of a French copy of a S & W double action in 11mm french ordnance. Unfortunately it is considered a modern gun because it was tested with type T powder. The lower gun is a belgian version of the same gun and I guess must be in 500 Eley. I think I may be able to make shells for it from belted magnum shells. They probably will not extract but they do have enough rim that they won't go through the chamber.
The gun is a pre 1898 antique based on its proof marks. It does have some subtle cosmetic issues and I will also have to make some minor parts for it :>) I do expect however to get it shooting at some point in the future.

Cheers mooncoon

frenchandbelgianpistolsb.jpg

How about 56 56 cases same case guys use in the 50 Caliber Remington 1871 pistols. its either 56 56 or 52 56 but starline makes em.

Very neat project ya got there!
 
Back
Top Bottom