450-577 chamber adapter

Senator

New member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have purchased a Martini 450-577 recently and do not want a hall hanger. I am not interested in reloading 450-577. Does anyone know where you could purchase a chamber adapter/conversion to fire 45 Colt Long or 45ACP? I am not looking for a super accurate rifle but would like something that is better than minute of barn door.
 
I could possibly build you one, but I'm wondering about your choice of cartridge. Standard size for the Martini is .459ish, and the pistol rounds are only .452. Anyway, I could probably do one.
 
Worth a try, but I wouldn't expect it to be much fun to shoot due to likely very poor accuracy. The bore on my MH has a groove diameter of 0.468" (way over 45 Colt and 45 ACP), and even with a 45 Colt, you'd have more than 1" of freebore and then probably another 1" until the bullet is fully engaged by the rifling. That is not conducive to accuracy either, and might pose problems with a big pressure drop followed by a rise (i.e. a spike). You'd be ok using standard 45 Colt loads, but might have to load up to compensate for the pressure drop from the freebore.

You'd be far better off using the 45/70 as the basis for the conversion. Still would be fun to try.
 
Bruno gross of Bull's Eye Reloading sells them in 45-70 and 45 long colt he has an add in the Canadian access to firearms if you want his # let me know I should let you know I think 45colt will just rattle down the bore and the 45-70 one should only be used with black powder
 
I have purchased a Martini 450-577 recently and do not want a hall hanger. I am not interested in reloading 450-577. Does anyone know where you could purchase a chamber adapter/conversion to fire 45 Colt Long or 45ACP? I am not looking for a super accurate rifle but would like something that is better than minute of barn door.


Reloading 450 577 is not difficult, I dont have any presses and reload by hand, its easy onece you get the hang of it.

That is the cartridge designed for this arm, if you use this cartridge you will have some damn good accuracy.....I sure do.

Though if some one would produce some brass with straight walled internals I would buy a pile, just for plinking.

British made subcaliber morris tubes can be had.....whenever I find one for a good price..... Im dead broke:redface: which is typical.

Cheers
 
Turned brass is available for the 577-450 with the smaller powder capacity. My M/H's are all in the .462 - .464 area for diameter. Some guys use .459 bullets of pure lead with success but I have found my most accurate loads to be with .470" bullets and black powder. This is not a tough cartridge to load for. Good luck.....Senator, where are you located in Canada? Pm me if you wish. Try going here to ask your questions as these guys specialize in these old rifles.
<http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/>
 
Last edited:
Bruno gross of Bull's Eye Reloading sells them in 45-70 and 45 long colt he has an add in the Canadian access to firearms if you want his # let me know I should let you know I think 45colt will just rattle down the bore and the 45-70 one should only be used with black powder

I have one in 45/70 and a .458 cast bullet rattles down the bore.
I also have a hammond game getter in 577-450 and that requires a 0.465" or larger ball.
 
"...45 Colt Long or 45ACP..." Wrong bullet diameter. The .577-450 uses a .460" bullet. The .45's use .454 and .452 inch bullets, respectively.
Shooter's Choice sells Bertram brass at $154.95 per 20.
I have a how-to to make reloadable brass out of 3/4" bar stock if you want it. Needs a lathe. toheir@hotmail.com
 
"...45 Colt Long or 45ACP..." Wrong bullet diameter. The .577-450 uses a .460" bullet. The .45's use .454 and .452 inch bullets, respectively.
Shooter's Choice sells Bertram brass at $154.95 per 20.
I have a how-to to make reloadable brass out of 3/4" bar stock if you want it. Needs a lathe. toheir@hotmail.com

Check with Bruno - I just bought 20 .577 snider brass from him for $100.00 and it is Jamieson brass - rumoured to be better quality than Bertram.
He may have a deal on 577/450.
 
Back
Top Bottom