Hard Gun Case for Longrifles?

Ol' Flinter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   0
Location
Ottawa
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a hard gun case that would take one or two longrifles up to 59" in length? The case must be lockable and solid enough for airline travel (I appreciate that is a lot to expect). I just had a quote of $1.000 for a custom aluminum case and that is out of the question.
 
I took 2 inexpensive hard side cases and cut them in half, then joined them together to make a longer case. I used left over piecs to overlap the seam and joined it with epoxy and pop rivets. These were the hard plastic cases, not aluminum thogh. Pretty strong, pretty cheap, but definately not pretty. LOL
Just an idea...

Good Luck.
 
I took 2 inexpensive hard side cases and cut them in half, then joined them together to make a longer case. I used left over piecs to overlap the seam and joined it with epoxy and pop rivets. These were the hard plastic cases, not aluminum thogh. Pretty strong, pretty cheap, but definately not pretty. LOL
Just an idea...

Good Luck.

Good work! Great use of imagination!

I would think a simple plywood box could also be made fairly cheaply.
 
Aluminum case from 2005 Dixie catolog, 61 inches?long enough for a Bess anyway. $300 USD. + all the extras should be $500 when it gets to your door. I'm thinking about it now that the local made stuff will be a grand!
 
cases

do you guys think there might be a market for cases like that....the reason i'm asking is i am a canadian manufacturer of custom built flight cases that i have been doing for musical instruments for years
thanks
zeek
 
Long Rifle Cases

Zeek:
Seeing as no one else in Canada makes these long ones, I think there are lots of longrifle shooters who would use them for carrying their guns safely in the back of the truck, on airlines, etc. As it is, Cabela's sells the only soft case long enough for my Kentuckies. You might even be able to market them widely via Bass Pro, out of Calgary where I reside. I would be happy to work with you on a design as I already have a good case for shotguns and rifles we could work from. Give me your company contact info and I will follow up.
 
Hey Guys:
I think I just answered my own question. As "Medalist" mentioned above, Dixie Gun Works has a foam-lined aluminum case 62"X12"X4 1/2" for $350 USD. Add a few bucks for shipping, exchange and GST and we can probably land one here for about $400 CDN. I would still like to see what "Zeek" could put together in Strathmore: i. e., "Buy Canadian".
 
Hey Guys:
I think I just answered my own question. As "Medalist" mentioned above, Dixie Gun Works has a foam-lined aluminum case 62"X12"X4 1/2" for $350 USD. Add a few bucks for shipping, exchange and GST and we can probably land one here for about $400 CDN. I would still like to see what "Zeek" could put together in Strathmore: i. e., "Buy Canadian".


Have you considered plumbing pipe with caps at the ends. If you are creative you can to a lot of magic, with sprayfoam, plastic and pam and make custom tubes for under 40 for a gun which would be as strong as any custom made cases. That is what I use for high dollar fishing rods and mailing sensitve long (items) overseas. Attracts less attention than a gun case also.
 
Back
Top Bottom