What do I have here?

Norm99

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
468   0   1
Location
Newfoundland
A friend of mine ask me to help him sell this. I know nothing at all about this except it's a flintlock. :redface: Could someone enlighten me and please tell me what it's worth in monetary terms.

Flintlock2.jpg


Flintlock.jpg
 
Last edited:
looks ike a really early as in 1960s or 70s bubba brownbess 3rd model, trigger looks like its off a french M1842, lock looks typical of the early repros as dose the fitting to the stock, look how out of place the lock is where its inlet, and who ever it was put the front swivel in the wrong place. if it sparks and the barrals thick anough at the breech I'd say 400$ max.
 
It supposed to be a Brown Bess, but it looks to be similar to the trade-gun version, but nothing looks right about it. If it's supposed to be a repro of the India pattern third model, it's not a good one. Wood colour is bfugly.

Value will depend on whether it actually functions, both properly and safely.
 
not a good copy of any of the models really, but for the parts if they worked ited be worth buying as a parts gun ....that lock needs some serious reworking to make it look good at all it looks like its huge...how longs the lock plate? and whats the difference in taper from the breech to the muzzle end of the barral and the caliber what would you say it is?
 
I recall seeing something like this a few years back......I recall the piece in question was belgian and used in Africa "trade gun"

Any markings on the lock innards or under the barrel in the breech area??

It very well could be a bad repro.....but it could also be something with a little more history and worth.

Can we see a picture of the touch hole placement and the inside "reverse" of the lock?

If its a poorly done repro it looks like a FINE project for those of a mind to take it on!!!
 
hmmm looks like I said to be an old old low end repro of a 3rd Model ....wonder where it was made? its posibley the worst I've seen. thats no africa trade item the trade guns I've seen made to sell in africa are plain but look better then that. I dont know about shooting it though whats the taper like from front to rear? if theres none I would just hang it on the wall and forget it.
 
Norm,

Is the touch hole very low in the pan? I have seen one exactly like this sold on here three years ago for $350. The one I saw had a metal tube for a barrel with the touch hole drilled at about the 7 o'clock position. It was a wall hanger. I stained the stock dark brown and refinished to "tube" French Grey.
 
Any markings on the lock innards or under the barrel in the breech area??

That is a good question.......
If your curiosity really gets to you, remove the lock and tap out the barrel retaining pins; take a look on the underside of the barrel or backside of lock for any numbers, proof marks etc. This will resolve two things - confirm or deny the reproduction category; and determine if the thing is a wall hanger or something you can shoot.
 
Back
Top Bottom