value of Win. 1886 in 40-82

savagelh

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I was talking to my uncle this weekend and he told me that I will be inheriting a rifle that he bought off of his neighbor a few years ago. I'm not interested in selling it but I would like to know what its worth so I can let him know. I would also like to know where to find brass cause I think it would be neat to shoot it with him. It's in good to very good cond. Wood has no deep gouges or cracks, Has never been rusted to the point of pitting, bore is exc. Action is very tight and is not silver like a lot of the worn ones that I've seen, Barrel is nice and brown on the outside and the corners of the octagon are nice and sharp. He bought this gun off of his neighbor who had found it in a wall when he was moving out of a house in B.C., As far as he can tell the gun was in the wall since the prohibition era, judging by some of the period items he found along with this gun.

I know it's going to be worth quite a bit I'm just not sure how much. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me so I have no pics. So if anyone has a blue book etc. that lists the value of a 1886 in 40-82 in %80 or better condition I would like to know.

My uncle gave the guy $50 for it.
 
Man, your Uncle got a good deal! I would guess at least $5000, probably more if it's as good as you say. Of course, you should never let that stop you from shooting it! Mystic Precision could most likely help with brass+dies+mould. Bet that rifle has a real story behind it, too bad it can't talk! We MUST see pictures! LOTS of them!!
 
My uncle gave the guy $50 for it.

It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair.

It's just not fair! :runaway:

Another thought... how do you find something IN a wall when moving out of a house? I'm guessing some sort of epic house shaker, going away party, beyond the hope of ever seeing you damage deposit back? Maybe I should rip the walls out of this house when I pack up to move.
 
Last edited:
It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair.

It's just not fair! :runaway:

You can say that again.....:bangHead:
 
LOL thanks guys. If you knew my uncle at all you wouldn't say it's not fair. It truley couldn't happen to a nicer guy. The details about how it were found are a little vague but I guess the guy that sold it to my uncle was not of sound mind and his family suggested he get the guns out of his house.
 
If the barrel is brown / patina it is not an 80% gun, nor would it command such a price unless it. From your description, likely somewhere in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.
Pics would really help better determine.
Wish I would get some of that luck!
Matt
 
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but what the blue book means when giving condition percents( 60%, 70%, 80% etc ) that means the percentage of ORIGINAL blueing or case hardening left...no? So if no orig. blueing/case hardening left would rate it in 0 categorie, unless the item is extremely old and rare.
 
sorry guys I know this would be way way easier with pics but I was under the impression that since none of the bluing/case hardening was worn off at all then the condition should be very good? I thought it was originally more of a brown color than bluing? Maybe some of the brown is just dust/grease etc. It was well greased before storage and hasn't been touched or cleaned in over 60 years. I really wish I had some pics so you guys could see what I mean. It really is a peach.
 
Photos are essential here. If a high condition gun is stored in humid conditions over many years, X% blueing will turn to X% deep chocolate Brown that will look almost black/blue under tungsten lights, but definitely deep brown under direct sunlight. A gun like that would not be called X% the value would diminish significantly because the blueing has turned brown. Fact is, I hate to even talk in terms of percent except for very high condition guns where there is less room for subjectivity. On the other hand, if it was a high condition gun before turning brown, the wood will be in excellent shape and the mechanics and metal will also be in excellent shape ..... it will just be dark chocolate brown. I can't even put a wild estimate on the value of your gun without photos. We need photos taken under direct sunlight of both sides of the gun, preferably each side broken up into three different photos, as well as a photo of the roll stamp on the barrel. We need to see the fit of the wood to the buttplate and the receiver. We need also to be able to see the relationship of the muzzle to the front sight. Values can vary so widely depending upon condition that we truly cannot give a responsible estimate without photos. Most '86's I see would fall into the $1,500 to $2,500 range, although if they are both worn and abused, I've seen a few go for less than $1,000.
 
If it's in as good a shape as you say at least $1500(hard to say without pics).
The $5000 estimate is out to lunch in my opinion unless you have an 86 carbine or a combination of special order features.
 
Back
Top Bottom