Original 1874 Sharps

Road King

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Thought I would share these photos of an original 1874 Sharps that I found a while back. I'l let the photos tell the story.

MVC-001E.jpg

MVC-002E.jpg

MVC-003E.jpg

MVC-004E.jpg

MVC-005E.jpg

MVC-006E.jpg

MVC-007E.jpg

MVC-008E.jpg

MVC-009E.jpg

MVC-010E.jpg

MVC-011E.jpg

MVC-012E.jpg

MVC-013E.jpg

MVC-014E.jpg

MVC-015E.jpg

MVC-016E.jpg

MVC-017E.jpg

MVC-018E.jpg

MVC-019E.jpg


Road King
 
Lord luv us! She's a beaut alright....
but I think I want to wearing a THICK buffalo coat when shooting.
They must have been REALLY tough to shoot down any more than, oh, say five or six animals-A WEEK!!
 
Wow! I'm drooling all over my keyboard over here.

I hardly dare hope to own such a thing one day - and I'm not even much of a Sharpes fan normally.

A truly exceptional piece of history!
 
Wow!

The letter really adds a whole new dimension to it

Wallace Gunn, the second owner of this rifle as per the letter, is mention in Frank Sellers book that on June 1877 upon "returning to Connecticut, at the Willow Brook Range, Wallace Gunn, an employee of the Sharps firm who test fired rifles and did some exhibition shooting, fired a possible score at 500 yards in another Connecticut Rifle Association match." This was when the Sharps Rifle was being used and dominated the great rifle shoots of the 1800's when shooting was getting national attention for all the right reasons.

Wallace Gunn is also mentioned in the section regarding Sharps attemp to produce a magazine rifle and how he tested the #8 rifle. This was during the period that Sharps began a connection with Jame Paris Lee when he was working for Remington. Sharps wanted to produce the magazine rifle that Lee was working on at the time.
 
Back
Top Bottom