Need 5.7x28

i found some nice information yesterday

The 5.7x28mm rounds are bottle-necked cartridges with .224 inch
SS197 cartridge uses the same 40-grain.224 inch Hornady V-Max projectile
SS193 cartridge features a 55-grain Sierra Game King FMJBT
i found some receipt on the net
 
If there are any dealers close to having some in, please let me know. I've already got an IIC for 5.7x28 but not sure how long it will take for the importer to get the proper export approval. If anyone is already in process of bringing some in, at least I'd know I don't have to try to get this done 3rd party import.
 
you can reload this caliber all information is readily available on the fiveseven forum
the process is such a PITA that I dropped this project.

Sure bullets, powder and primers will be easy to obtain. Now for the brass, it has a coating, so you can't tumble them dry
The 5.7X28 case is lacquer coated and that coating can be damaged if cleaned in a vibratory case cleaner with dry media such as ground corn cob or walnut hull. Hand wash in a plastic container or rotary tumble in a solution of Simple Green or dish washing liquid.

Tests are always on to reproduce that coating on the fiveseven forum, but for now only brass is factory brass. TSE has 5.7 ammo but will only sell you up to 1000 if you buy a FN 5.7 from them. I can't remember if Quester has 5.7 ammo but they do sell the 5.7 pistol on order.

dies are off catalogue made by lee you can call in. Redding and lyman has them on their catalogue.

A guy on the fiveseven forum manufactures shell plates for the dillon 550 but he never answered the phone or returned my e-mail. It will be up to you to see. Otherwise on a single stage, you could compare base diameter of the 5.7 with other available shell plates, the 5.7 base is 7,95mm
 
Thanksf or the post Charles.Edmond, i've done some snooping around those forums and the other one like it, came up with good load data and reloading components. I'm still short on brass, I have a very limited amount of once fired =)
 
Do you need the lacquer coating on them for them to feed properly? What is once fired brass worth if you can find it?
 
for the die, my gunsmith order RCBS die for me

I see on fiveseveN forum , it's possible to order direct from lee

Lee is offering these 5.7x28 over the phone - :drool: but you won't find them in their catalog.
LEE Precision's phone number is 262-673-3075.
 
Do you need the lacquer coating on them for them to feed properly? What is once fired brass worth if you can find it?

lacquer is necessary for both fiveseven pistol and p90, don't know about the AR upper though. It is the main reason it is such a pain to reload 5.7. Check gunbroker for the time to time on sale 5.7 brass.
FN's 5.7x28mm brass cases are covered with a special polymer coating for easier extraction with the PS90 carbine due to the high chamber pressures and lack of case tapering. In addition, the coating ensures proper feeding and function in the magazines.
This is what I heard, but don't quote me on it: the polymer in question is teflon
now where does one find polytetrafluoroethylene, this I have no idea. my dream of shooting this caliber fell short, I have not investigated any further than this.


yes you can order direct from lee but they have a monstrous backlog, or so did they tell me
buying direct from lyman would be my #1 choice.
 
The reason I was asking about the pricing for the brass is I have a line on 20k once fired 5.7x28 brass and I have no idea what is worth for me to sell or even what to offer.

Ryan
 
I have reloaded a number of brass quite a few times for my PS90. The coating does not come off that easily. I started cleaning the necks and shoulders with steel wool, this takes the coating off much faster so have stopped that practice. The necks and shoulders on most of mine are now bare brass, have had no problems yet with reliability. The biggest pain is taking the primer crimp out the first time you load them. This is somewhat of a time consuming cartridge to load but I have gotten some surprisingly good accuracy out of it in my PS90. 5 shot groups as small as 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards. Definitely better accuracy than I was getting with factory. Good luck, 8ball
 
Back
Top Bottom