Snider Smoothbore

stevejones

Regular
Rating - 100%
82   0   1
Location
Courtenay, BC
Picked up another toy...This one is a Snider that reminds me of a cadet, however it has a blade front sight, still has the rear, and is a smooth bore. No stamps that I can see denoting any restrictions on what can be fired out of it that I can see. I am going to try (after I am sure it is safe...) firing some loads out of it. Maybe round ball first and then work up to minnies. I was just wondering if there are 58 caliber liners out there and were they are. I don't have a lot into the gun and it is in really nice shape, just the odd safe mark and a hairline crack in to toe of the stock.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Cheers. Steve.
 
Yes Pictures please!!

You know....If the bore is in good shape, why not keep it smooth?? You can shoot roundballs "minis are useless in a smoothie" or shot making it a truly adaptable arm!

Cheers
 
Yes, you could put a liner in it as I understand that any stright walled case could be a candidate. Musketfire is correct, a mini would be utterly useless and as well a round ball, to shoot properly, would have to be patched. This would require you to load the patched ball from the muzzle and then put your cartridge with powder in as normal behind it. I think these were meant to shoot a buckshot load and were used in prisons. Good luck, Dave
 
Smoothbore Snider pics

2iih450.jpg

2heztw3.jpg

2na5j48.jpg


Here is some pics. Hope somebody can tell me if any of them may indicate if I can use it for single projectiles...?

Cheers. Steve.
 
2iih450.jpg

2heztw3.jpg

2na5j48.jpg


Here is some pics. Hope somebody can tell me if any of them may indicate if I can use it for single projectiles...?

Cheers. Steve.

If shes solid....Why not??

Maybe try wrapping a undersized ball in lubed "or unlubed" cloth and packing that in the cartridge??

If the arm is in good shape, I say trial and error is the king of the realm.


Maybe try loading some buck and ball loads????!!!!

I have loaded buck and ball in muzzleloaders, maybe someone who has experience with doing this in a cartridge arm can chime in.
 
Wad

I'm going to shoot it.Its just what is the question....I've had good results shooting .575 ball out of my rifled Snider so it should be ok with the smoothy. I've seen plastic cup wads for 50 cal ball to use in a muzzle loader. i have been trying to find them in 58 as they should fit inside the case. The base of these wads is meant to expand into the rifling but it should do the same in a smooth bore.

Cheers. Steve.
 
Steve, to get good results you should be using .590" ball in a Snider. This size ball will fully engage the rifling. I can't imagine you would have very good results with any ball or bullet in a smoothbore but it's worth a try. It will go bang and smoke like hell so you'll impress the onlookers. Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom