touching up a bubba's mess? on a webly.

tula

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
well I picked up a webly mk1 and some bubba desided that he didnt like the light pitting in the top strap and desided to file them off which he never finished, now it didnt harm the lines of the gun at all surprisingly, so im wondering what some of you guys would do? would you take a stone or some fine emmery on a block and smooth out a bit of the file marks and then maybe touch it up with a gun blacking marker so it dosnt look to offensive? or shall I say the hell with it, and leave them and black them over so thier not as noticeable? it shoots like a dream so either way I lucked out.
 
I think it's always best to do some creative damage control on Bubba's interventions. It just makes the gun more of a pleasure to handle afterwards. I really hate seeing tool marks on any of my firearms... it's as much of an eye sore as rust, in my opinion.
 
same here, if I had been him a good oil bath to loosen up a bit of the rust and a very fine steelwool or jewlers rouge would have sufficed.
 
there isnt on the topstrap.... I doubt there was in the first place probably why he did it ....wonder why he didnt think of just giving it a good soaking and a light rub down the the steelwool. whats this chemical rust remover your talking about? evapo rust?
 
there isnt on the topstrap.... I doubt there was in the first place probably why he did it ....wonder why he didnt think of just giving it a good soaking and a light rub down the the steelwool. whats this chemical rust remover your talking about? evapo rust?

Yeah, EvapoRust is the chemical of choice if you need stuff really clean & rust free for the next 100 years (as long as you oil it right after and keep it oiled). The downside is that it will also remove the blue... but obviously this is a non-issue for guns that don't have any blue left to begin with. ;)
 
If it has some ugly file marks I would think you are best off to clean it up. Especially if its not going to change the lines or make things worse.

Bit of draw-filing (if needed) and touch up with a stone is probably the way to go. Trying to match the blueing might be a bit of a trick.
 
its a black finish so I might just hide it under some gun blacking marker, as for draw-filing and a stone I forsee that coming up real soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom