Ok long story short. I am working on a custom antique double barrel 500 S&W Magnum pistol. For “bear defense”. What do you think the fps would be for a BLACK powder load? Say 350 grain bullet? Also it will have a 6” barrel.
also i am going to cut the case down from 1.6" to 1" or maybe 1.2" case
The gun I am starting with is a 455 cal. And I am tossing out the barrels and going to custom make a set out of SS for it.
I am going to send in the frame of the gun to my gun smith to be checked over and re heat treated.
What do you think of this idea? Is it nutz>? I don’t think that a 500s&w will blow the frame apart if I load it with black powder. Or real light smokeless rd’s. .
“ this is some info I got off Google for light loads smokeless.”
325 grain LFP (lead flat point) (Cowboy load)
Trail Boss 12.0 gr. 948 FPS
Trail Boss 15.0 gr. 1,044
330 grain Lead Round Nose, plain base (plinker bullet)
Trail Boss 9.0 gr. 843 Hi=868, Lo=817, ES=51 (very mild shooting)
Trail Boss 10.0 gr. 900 Hi=906, Lo=892, ES=13 (very consistent)
Trail Boss 11.0 gr. 952 Hi=963, Lo=944, ES=19
Trail Boss 12.0 gr. 1,006 Hi=1,014 Lo=995, ES=19 (Max Load)
440 grain lead cast Cowboy loads
Trail Boss 7.0 gr. 643 FPS minimum (This is VERY light, be careful)
Trail Boss 10.0 gr. 799 FPS MAXIMUM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got the gun off GB, I don’t have it yet. So I can’t get better pic’s then this.
I was talking to my gun smith he told me he can heat treat it to 30?? If I remember right.
I was looking for a gun like this for well over 2 year. It looks to me like one hell of a strong frame. So I think it will be fine.
also i am going to cut the case down from 1.6" to 1" or maybe 1.2" case
The gun I am starting with is a 455 cal. And I am tossing out the barrels and going to custom make a set out of SS for it.
I am going to send in the frame of the gun to my gun smith to be checked over and re heat treated.
What do you think of this idea? Is it nutz>? I don’t think that a 500s&w will blow the frame apart if I load it with black powder. Or real light smokeless rd’s. .
“ this is some info I got off Google for light loads smokeless.”
325 grain LFP (lead flat point) (Cowboy load)
Trail Boss 12.0 gr. 948 FPS
Trail Boss 15.0 gr. 1,044
330 grain Lead Round Nose, plain base (plinker bullet)
Trail Boss 9.0 gr. 843 Hi=868, Lo=817, ES=51 (very mild shooting)
Trail Boss 10.0 gr. 900 Hi=906, Lo=892, ES=13 (very consistent)
Trail Boss 11.0 gr. 952 Hi=963, Lo=944, ES=19
Trail Boss 12.0 gr. 1,006 Hi=1,014 Lo=995, ES=19 (Max Load)
440 grain lead cast Cowboy loads
Trail Boss 7.0 gr. 643 FPS minimum (This is VERY light, be careful)
Trail Boss 10.0 gr. 799 FPS MAXIMUM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got the gun off GB, I don’t have it yet. So I can’t get better pic’s then this.
I was talking to my gun smith he told me he can heat treat it to 30?? If I remember right.
I was looking for a gun like this for well over 2 year. It looks to me like one hell of a strong frame. So I think it will be fine.
Last edited:



















































