Antique handgun for putting down Your Deer.

Would you use a Antique hand gun for putting down Your Deer.


  • Total voters
    115
"...flintlock repro qualify..." No and neither does any other antique handgun. Flintlock or otherwise. There is no provision in the CC that exempts antique handguns from the 'at an approved range only' regulation.

Sunray, can you show me where the CC or Firearms Act limits antique handguns to "at an approved range only". I can find no such restriction.
 
Although I said 'maybe' on the condition of unanimous agreement from the CO's in the area I would hunt, I still don't see why I'd actually do it. There are enough hunting regs to keep track of as it is, forget about adding a whole new layer of possible pitfalls. For example, a few years ago, a CO almost charged me for something that I was unaware of. I had shot a deer and was cleaning it exactly 75 yards from the house when the CO spotted me from the road and came driving in. The CO told me that cleaning my deer was part of hunting and, therefore, I still needed to wear my blaze orange even though I was cleaning the deer in the farm yard. That was news to me. He let me off with a warning, which was good, as I would have considered it to be a cheap and ridiculous charge. Before continuing to skin out my deer, which by then was only 30 feet from the house, I put my hat and vest on. Crazy, but the point is that there are more hunting regs than appear in that book they print out each year. I have a hard enough time with making sure I'm complying with all of them. I have no enthusiasm for making things even more complicated.
 
I would approach the animal with a patched ball reloaded into my flinter. If it started to get up I would just shoot it again. I carry enough gear I don't need a one hander hanging off of me.

regards, Darryl
 
Sunray, on the subject of the CC's exemption for antique firearms, see the following:

Certain weapons deemed not to be firearms
84 (3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:
(a) any antique firearm;


Possession at unauthorized place
93. (1) Subject to subsection (3), every person commits an offence who, being the holder of an authorization or a licence under which the person may possess a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition, possesses the firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition at a place that is
(a) indicated on the authorization or licence as being a place where the person may not possess it;
(b) other than a place indicated on the authorization or licence as being a place where the person may possess it; or
(c) other than a place where it may be possessed under the Firearms Act.
 
"...flintlock repro qualify..." No and neither does any other antique handgun. Flintlock or otherwise. There is no provision in the CC that exempts antique handguns from the 'at an approved range only' regulation.

Sunray, can you show me where the CC or Firearms Act limits antique handguns to "at an approved range only". I can find no such restriction.

Sunray, on the subject of the CC's exemption for antique firearms, see the following:

Certain weapons deemed not to be firearms
84 (3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:
(a) any antique firearm;


Possession at unauthorized place
93. (1) Subject to subsection (3), every person commits an offence who, being the holder of an authorization or a licence under which the person may possess a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition, possesses the firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition at a place that is
(a) indicated on the authorization or licence as being a place where the person may not possess it;
(b) other than a place indicated on the authorization or licence as being a place where the person may possess it; or
(c) other than a place where it may be possessed under the Firearms Act.

OK Grizzly,thanks for the legalese but what does 84(3) mean in english?Forgive my ignorance and being too lazy to look up all the sections quoted.If an antique is NOT a firearm as defined in The Act,does that mean that it is indeed exempted from the "usual" transport and "at an approved range only" regs?in other words,can I take it out without an ATT to any safe location in the woods and bang away?
 
If an antique is NOT a firearm as defined in The Act,does that mean that it is indeed exempted from the "usual" transport and "at an approved range only" regs?in other words,can I take it out without an ATT to any safe location in the woods and bang away?

Transportation regulations apply. From the RCMP website:

"Antique handguns must be locked in a heavy-duty, non-see-through container that cannot be easily broken open during transportation." Unloaded of course.

But an ATT is not required; an antique handgun can be discharged in any location where it is permitted to discharge a non-restricted firearm.
 
"...flintlock repro qualify..." No and neither does any other antique handgun. Flintlock or otherwise. There is no provision in the CC that exempts antique handguns from the 'at an approved range only' regulation.

tactical-face-palm.jpg
 
OK Grizzly,thanks for the legalese but what does 84(3) mean in english?Forgive my ignorance and being too lazy to look up all the sections quoted.If an antique is NOT a firearm as defined in The Act,does that mean that it is indeed exempted from the "usual" transport and "at an approved range only" regs?in other words,can I take it out without an ATT to any safe location in the woods and bang away?

Here are the regulations to the Firearms Act which set out the storage and transport rules for antique firearms:

ANTIQUE FIREARMS

14. (1) An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.

(2) An individual may transport an antique firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the antique firearm, is securely locked.

(3) An individual may transport an antique firearm that is a handgun only if it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation.
 
what a stupid question. I thought disscussion of illegal activity was verboten on here?

Aside from the illegal action of hunting with a handgun coping with the mechanics of using a handgun for close range accurate fire when your rifle is leaning against a tree is
a bit silly to say the least. Antique handguns have alot of legitimate and useful applications in the bush shooting game animals IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Also pretty hard to ignore the saftey aspect. Who here has shot at the ground 2 feet in front of themselves? Who has shot into a bucket of bone and rock? I for one would be wearing leather and peering through a face shield while wearing a stout pair of gloves!
Lead bounces pretty good and rocks and bone are not so proud as to ignore your wishes.
 
what a stupid question. I thought disscussion of illegal activity was verboten on here?

Actually the entire discussion centers on weather it is legal or not. As hunting regulations are provincial it is entirely dependant on how the act regulating hunting in that province is written.
 
Actually the entire discussion centers on weather it is legal or not. As hunting regulations are provincial it is entirely dependant on how the act regulating hunting in that province is written.

True - I don't think it would be a problem to use your handgun certain types of hunting in the Yukon.

EDIT: I stand corrected - apparently the regs say no handguns now. See post #55.
 
Last edited:
what a stupid question. I thought disscussion of illegal activity was verboten on here?

Actually the entire discussion centers on weather it is legal or not. As hunting regulations are provincial it is entirely dependant on how the act regulating hunting in that province is written.

True - I don't think it would be a problem to use your handgun certain types of hunting in the Yukon.

DD- It is illegal and I have read and posted the MB (a province I don't live or hunt in but the OP does) regs that apply. So far the rationalization for breaking the law seems to be "I don't want the animal to suffer any longer than it has to" which I suspect is code for "I REALLY want to shoot an animal with a handgun!"

tactical870- Covered (see above).

Smokepole- Yukon 2009/2010 regs read:
"It is unlawful to hunt big game with:
a crossbow,
a pistol or a revolver"

Reading the regs only takes five minutes and will save you a fortune in legal fees/fines AND your hunting licence. I strongly urge more hunters to spend the time!
 
"I don't want the animal to suffer any longer than it has to" which I suspect is code for "I REALLY want to shoot an animal with a handgun!"

Jaydog I fear your correct. Too bad the same level of effort was'nt given to figuring out how to shoot an ungulate properly the first time!
I really hope some moron does'nt get caught chasing a gut shot antlerless doe along a forestry road whilst peppering it's rear end with 32 rimfire rounds.

When you get up here for early Elk in sept we'll play with some antiques in a game free environment.
 
what a stupid question. I thought disscussion of illegal activity was verboten on here? .

I originally assumed the question/poll was on the basis of would you if it were legal or alternately would if you were hunting in an area like the USA where in many states it is legal. As such neither interpretation would be an illegal activity.

cheers mooncoon
 
DD- It is illegal and I have read and posted the MB (a province I don't live or hunt in but the OP does) regs that apply. So far the rationalization for breaking the law seems to be "I don't want the animal to suffer any longer than it has to" which I suspect is code for "I REALLY want to shoot an animal with a handgun!"

tactical870- Covered (see above).

Why don't we end the BS on this. I challenge anyone on here to find written law that prohibits hunting with an antique handgun in Ontario. Other provincial regulations may differ. Opinions are just that. The regulations are a summary and do not neccesarily reflect the law (that's written in the disclaimer). Read the actual acts. I've even had lawyers well versed in firearms law tell me you can't hunt with guns with barrels under 18". If that's correct about 100000 guys with iga backpackers are in for a surprise. There's a free case of Molson Canadian for the first person on here who can actually prove my statements about antique handguns in ONTARIO wrong with quoted text from provincial or federal law.

BTW you gotta pick the beer up.... LOL
 
"...flintlock repro qualify..." No and neither does any other antique handgun. Flintlock or otherwise. There is no provision in the CC that exempts antique handguns from the 'at an approved range only' regulation.

Actually there is. It's the bit about antiques that aren't part of the "not antique list" not being considered guns, so any laws written about them don't apply.

Transportation regulations apply. From the RCMP website:

"Antique handguns must be locked in a heavy-duty, non-see-through container that cannot be easily broken open during transportation." Unloaded of course.

But an ATT is not required; an antique handgun can be discharged in any location where it is permitted to discharge a non-restricted firearm.

AHA! You have fallen prey to the CFC/RCMP Ministry of Information!

That is what they say. That is what they would like. IT IS NOT THE LAW.

I might be wrong, but it's similar to the CFC basically not accepting your application for an LTATT in BC unless you have a range membership and can prove it. I've never seen it anywhere in the law that says you have to have it, but they believe it's law, and they just won't talk to you otherwise.
 
There's a free case of Molson Canadian for the first person on here who can actually prove my statements about antique handguns in ONTARIO wrong with quoted text from provincial or federal law.

BTW you gotta pick the beer up.... LOL

Well I'll top that I'll send you a pallet of Molson Canadian if you go rabbit hunting tommorow (assuming rabbit season is open) Call the conservation officers before you leave the house and tell them where you will be hunting and that you will be using an Antique Handgun. Just make sure you bring a cheap disposable antique and store the rest of your collection at a friends. You'll need to pawn em to get bail. LOL.
 
Back
Top Bottom