1895 Winchester question

darryl in creston

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have an 1895 Winchester takedown in 30 Army, dated 1913. I didn't notice until recently that the forend has an ebony tip. It is fitted so well that it is almost unnoticeable. I can find no others with a tip like this. Is this factory, or was it done by a gunsmith? Any answers would be appreciated.
 
I thought all 1895's had the ebony tip. Except for the carbines, of course.

Not all have the ebony tip. My TD 405WCF does not. According to one of Madis' books, b/w numbers 55,000 and 68,000 are few rifles are found without the inlay. Mine actually falls later than those numbers and I wouldn't be surprised to find more that "a few". His numbers were sometimes a bit off.

Matt
 
Thanks

Not all have the ebony tip. My TD 405WCF does not. According to one of Madis' books, b/w numbers 55,000 and 68,000 are few rifles are found without the inlay. Mine actually falls later than those numbers and I wouldn't be surprised to find more that "a few". His numbers were sometimes a bit off.

Matt

Thanks for the info. The only other one that I have had a good look at didn't have the tip either. Now that I know it's factory, and not devalued, I have a better idea of what to ask for it. If anyone is looking for one let me know.Thanks again, Darryl
 
Back
Top Bottom