Brilliant film of Antique British rifles !!!!

By jove! Some of those old single shots are simply smashing! Not many people realize it took about 190 years of tinkering to go from loose powder and ball to what we know as fixed rounds.

Reminded me of the first time I wandered around the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody Wyoming a few years ago, I thought of what a friend had said to me after his visit there. "I didn't know there was so many ways to send a bullet down a barrel."
 
Very impressive. Last minute shows how after 1 century, these arms are as good, in many ways, as the new arms of today.

Shhhhhhhsh No they arnt!!! There terible old guns that if you tip them forward the bullet would roll out the end and a 177 Caliber pellet gun has more power than that old antique stuff eh ;) :p
 
Excellent find there Musketfire. I had heard about the "magazines" for Martinis, but never saw one on action.

Sad thing is, if someone tried to do that these days in England (fire all those guns while filming it), they'd be labelled Public Enemy #1.
 
Some interesting stuff there, but the Mauser 98 was not used in the Boer War, that was the Model 96, which cocked on closing. Hard to believe they'd get that wrong.
 
The Reilly trials rifle shoots standard 577 quite well,ejector pops the empties right out of the action, really cool.

577002.jpg


CopyofDSCF0754.jpg


CopyofDSCF0753.jpg


CopyofDSCF0750.jpg


hard to see in the picture, Number 14

CopyofDSCF0758.jpg

I remember seeing that on the EE. Wish I'd had more money at the time! :(
 
"Sad thing is, if someone tried to do that these days in England (fire all those guns while filming it), they'd be labelled Public Enemy #1."

I shot enfeilds, martini's, mausers etc on ranges in the UK right up to moving here less than 2 years ago.
I owned 3 or 4 enfeilds in various calibres and styles. Classic rifle days are common enough on UK ranges. As long as the rifles are manually operated, you can have whatever you want.
 
Back
Top Bottom