My 'new' vintage Winchester (photo)

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Last week I received my original Winchester Model 53 chambered in 32 WCF (32-20). I bought it from Merz Antiques, and Clay of Prophet River (link above) imported it for me. I now have Model 53's in all three calibers (25-20, 32 WCF, and 44 WCF). Just as the Model 1886 had an 'extra light' version, so did the Model 1892, except Winchester decided to give it its own model number so it ended up being called the Model 53. They were made from 1924 until 1930 (possibly even up to 1933). Ever since I sold my last 32-20, I sure did miss having one. This one is a keeper. According to the polishing room records, serial number 7526 was entered into the books on April 19, 1926. The date on the underside of the barrel is also '26'. This one is a beaut. Apart from some flaking on the sides of the receiver and forearm tip and some minor handling marks, it is in almost new condition. I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range, as soon as I finish filling out my taxes, my wife's taxes, and her mother's taxes. :( In the meantime, here's a photo ....

WinchesterModel5332-201.jpg
 
I had one of the 53s in 44-40 and it was a take down.
Do you happen to know the serial number of it? I'm building a database of surviving Model 53's as part of my research for a couple articles I'm planning to write. If you do, I'd be grateful if you could PM me.

The 44-40's are very rare. Only about 13% of the Model 53's were in 44 WCF (44-40).
 
A 44WCF in TD would be a very nice rifle. I had a nice 44 standard rifle, but not a TD. Love to find one. The 53s are so smooth and very nice handling rifles.
Matt
 
Nice looking rifle.

With the Canadian dollar about the same as the United States dollar it makes getting a firearm from the U.S. much cheaper than it was.
 
Back
Top Bottom