antique restoration/refinishing

apu

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I did a search on the topic and did not find much. I have a Webley WG revolver that I am contemplating "restoring" the finish. Are there any gunsmiths in Canada or US particularly adept at this type of work?
I have had no luck so far, any guidence would be greatly appreciated.
 
I am well aware that in certain markets and with particular firearms, having anything but the original fugly is a no no. I am not trying pimp out Jessie James' SAA. I have plenty of other antiques in the "beautiful" untouched condition, now I just want a piece with zero providence that is easy on the eyes. Again I seek restoration over refinish, there is a subtle difference.

Anyone with advice to the original question, gunsmith anyone?
Feel free to PM me if you feel you are committing sacrilege on a public forum.
 
The difference between restoration and refinishing is significant.
If you want the revolver to look like new, you are going to have to find someone who can duplicate the original polishing techniques as well as the finishing processes originally used
Of course, you could just get a good gunsmith to do a careful, quality reblue.
 
Thanks for the link. I would prefer restoration and would be willing to go down that financial road but seems I have come across only a couple capable gunsmiths out of the US that may or may not want to take my money. I guess ideally it would be nice if I could find a competent Canadian gunsmith, if not I will entertain just a refinish hopefully to fine standard. I was hoping some one had experience here and might provide a kind referral. Thanks
 
You can try armco in Prince George BC

http://www.armco-guns.com/

Or BIts and Peices in Delta

http://www.bitsofpieces.com/

Both can strip and reblue.




Thanks for the link. I would prefer restoration and would be willing to go down that financial road but seems I have come across only a couple capable gunsmiths out of the US that may or may not want to take my money. I guess ideally it would be nice if I could find a competent Canadian gunsmith, if not I will entertain just a refinish hopefully to fine standard. I was hoping some one had experience here and might provide a kind referral. Thanks
 
Thanks for the kind links, I have communicated with both Armco and Barry.
So far it appears the gunsmith at ronsgunshop.com in Oshkosh, WI has given me the most knowledgeable perspective on actual restoration that would be the closest to the original charcoal finish vs a hot reblue. I am still not certain if this what I will do but it certainly has been great learning experience. Does anyone know of any issue with shipping an antique to the states for smith work?
 
There's no issue with antiques. I've done it, using the mail. You can ship it straight to the 'smith in the USA.
 
Back
Top Bottom