Cost to start producing ammo commercially? (just for Information)

LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Location
Alberta
Now, this question is purely for the sake of knowing, and unless I win the lottery (which will involve pulling a horse shoe from a very unpleasant place to start) will not lead to anything.

I would like to know, what would the initial start up cost be to start producing ammo commercially? Something along the line of four or so calibers to start? In case people are wondering, I was thinking of 5.56x45 spec, 7.62x51 spec, mk7 .303 ball, as well as 30-06 M1 ball. Assuming I would produce everything except powder and primers in house, what am I looking at for machinery and staff? What about the legal aspect of producing "military" spec ammo for commercial sale?

Once again, this is for INFORMATION SAKE ONLY. I am simply curious, so once again unless i pull a horse shoe from a certain unpleasant place and win 649 next week, THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN. I am stating this over and over as I have seen rumors spread like wildfire on a hot, dry summers day on here. It would not surprise me in a few months or so to read a thread where someone posted "there was a member trying to start a ammo factory up, so we should see some cheap such and such ammo in a bit"...

Of course anything is possible...:p

Thanks:)
 
i asked this sdame question etc, and where to get the equiment etc, look for that post and you will get all the info already posted
 
Just for a commercial reloading operation, first thing you need is a location. A building on it's own property, ### metres away from any other building.

I remember a thread for a number of years ago where a complete manufacturing line was available for sale from some country. (South African maybe??)
 
Just out of idle curiosity, there are different levels of making ammo; which were you talking?

If you're talking about contract purchase of brass from Remington or Winchester with your own headstamp and then assembling loads for sale, that can be done. All you really need is the $$ to buy a lot of cases - and the patience to wade through small oceans of paperwork.

If you're talking about buying ingot brass and lead and making your own propellant from basic materials, you can't afford it. Heck, the Canadian govt can't afford it.
 
The one cost that you CANNOT factor in and the one that will hurt you is the inspections from the Fed's, if they don't like your million run of ammo out she goes, I seriously looked into it with an American ammo manufacturer and we decided against it, NOT because its not commercially viable but because the regulations CAN make it commercially NONviable. FWIW
 
The one cost that you CANNOT factor in and the one that will hurt you is the inspections from the Fed's, if they don't like your million run of ammo out she goes, I seriously looked into it with an American ammo manufacturer and we decided against it, NOT because its not commercially viable but because the regulations CAN make it commercially NONviable. FWIW
They do not inspect it after approval, or by lot.

Frankly, the regs are not a huge burden for a serious operation.

They are, however, detrimental to importers.
 
way too much leeway in the inspection process prior to approval to take the risk, really, better ways to invest money than let a federal inspector muck things up. T-97...need I say more?
 
Thanks, just what I was looking for. For those who asked, I was talking about everything except primers and poweder made in house. The brass and bullets would be made in house.

Lets hope I win next weeks draw lol.
 
You would be better off setting up in a country that actually WANTS you to open up a business, and then import into Canada. Whether you manufacture here or import, your finished ammunition has to meet the SAME performance and inspection criteria.

Find a county with lax labour laws and far less onerous regulations, plus low taxes and then you might actually be able to make a profit.
 
Interesting. This thought has one through my mind too.

Going oversees might the route if laws and regulation are the main impedement. Otherwise, Canada has the natural resources and industrial capability to manufacture high quality and competative ammunition in for local and the world market.

General Dynamics, an American company, apparently bought the IVI plant here in Quebec a few years back. So what are sovereign Canadian ammunition manufacturers now? I can't think of any.

Tön
 
I have a very good friend of mine who operated an ammunition manufacturing company in Edmonton called Superior Canadian Munitions. He basically went bankrupt from bunny huggers, anti-hunting, anti-gun, and tree *uckers protesting the use of lead. The hazardous materials emergency clean up crew showed up several times with lights flashing. It had little to do with the use of lead, it was just an avenue to put him out of business.

There is much more politics than meets the eye.
 
Fiddler you nailed it, the back room bureaucracy "inspections" and 'intangibles ' is what can kill a business. Can Am experienced this with their latest shipment of non restricted t 97's.

Not Worth the effort these days.
 
Going oversees might the route if laws and regulation are the main impedement.

They ARE the main impediment, HAZMAT, Environmental Permits, cleanup contingencies, mandatory inspections and upgrades, mandatory reporting, along with taxes at every level of government for not just your company, but for every employee.

Otherwise, Canada has the natural resources and industrial capability to manufacture high quality and competative ammunition in for local and the world market.

Natural resources mean nothing anymore. There is global trade and the prices are the same no matter where you are. Same with industrial capability, manufacturing ammunition is not high tech, you just need employees that are competent and capable plus a couple people that really know what they are doing.


General Dynamics, an American company, apparently bought the IVI plant here in Quebec a few years back. So what are sovereign Canadian ammunition manufacturers now? I can't think of any.
Tön

They bought IVI because of the government contracts........


Doesn't Challenger manufacture shotgun shells out of Quebec?
 
I can't get a response even when I want to give him $$$ for 2k of 9mm. :(

No worries now.. never buying factory (or reloaded ammo) again. Maybe a box here and there to compare my reloads.

Talk to SFRC, site sponsor. Ryan (Chemist) handles Wolf's under-10k round sales.

-M
 
Back
Top Bottom