Easiest way to open a 7.62x39 surplus crate?

Balthazar

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Ok I'll sound dumb once again, sorry about that. Yes, I'm a newbie.

I bought my 1st crate last saturday and the seller smiled at me and said "have fun opening it". I didn't understand why he told me that until I got home.

That thing is sealed. The wooden crate is easy to open but inside there is a big metal case, and it's sealed with solder.

Not sure if it's common or not. How the hell am I supposed to open this? There is no opener or nothing like that.

Do I bash my way in with a hammer and a screwdriver?
 
I just opened one with a pair of needle nose pliers as the Spam key and a pair of channel lock pliers to keep the rest of the lid from rolling up with the edge. It takes effort but the shooty goodness inside makes it worth it...
 
Make sure you look at how the seams are layered.

You need to open them in the correct order from top down to bottom.

You will have a hell of a time if the order is incorrect.
 
Get a buddy with an already open crate to fire as fast as possibly directly over your head, no hearing protection for you, use the attached bayonet to open it. I'll bet you've got it open, and the first stripper loaded, in roughly 12 seconds.

I sliced myself pretty good on my first one. Not opening it, but grabbing a box of ammo out without looking at what I was doing. If you use vise grips and just pull, or spam can it, it really is surprisingly easy.
 
I opened my first case of the stuff last night and it wasn't too bad opening it with vice grips as described in the link above. Watch them edges!!
 
I just tear them open with my bare hands, sort of like ripping a phone book in half. ;-)) LOL!!

Naw, I use the visegrips, two hands, and some select vocabulary!!
 
I use an automotive soldering gun and slowly unsolder the edge ,pulling up on the ring at the same time . It takes a few minutes ,but definately makes it very easy.
docsteve
 
One ring pulls the top strip. The next ring pulls the middle strip, then you pull the third ring. Stand on the box, pull up nice and firmly, be carefull not to cut yourself on the tin strip.

Be strong, get a good grip, and slowly yet firmly reef up on the rings.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom