Photos of new 86

Matt74

Regular
Rating - 100%
239   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I just thought I'd take a moment to share a pic of a new gun I picked up a couple weeks ago. It is a Winchester 1886 Light Weight Deluxe in 33WCF. The thing that makes this one neat, is that the majority of LWs came with half magazines;this one has a full mag which looks nice. It has Pistol grip and very nice checkered Deluxe wood, and is also a Take down model. The front sight is a special order Marbles Improved No.2. Bore is great and can't wait to put a few down the barrel, though 33WCF ammo is NOT easy to come by anymore!!
This particular gun is just over 100 years old, being made in 1909. I'm not as good with a camera as Win 38-55, but here are a few pics:

334.jpg

331.jpg

332.jpg

333.jpg



Matt

P.S. If anyone has some 33WCf ammo to sell, let me know!
 
Nice wood! Congrats on the 86!

As far as ammo, I did see my first round of 33WCF ever, a friends Dad has it mixed in his old tackle box with a bunch of other obsolete Dominion rounds from the 40's-50's. Seriously, just one round, I had never seen one before three weeks ago.
 
Nice wood! Congrats on the 86!

As far as ammo, I did see my first round of 33WCF ever, a friends Dad has it mixed in his old tackle box with a bunch of other obsolete Dominion rounds from the 40's-50's. Seriously, just one round, I had never seen one before three weeks ago.



Thanks! Yes, the wood is very nice and the pics and lighting don't do it justice. I'll have to try to get a better pic of it in the daylight.
I never saw my first round of 33WCF until last Summer when I picked up my first 33. A friend of mine had some sitting round so we did some shooting. Before that, never seen a one. A friend I know has one in a Marlin. He reloads for his and has taken several deer with it. Guess they don't usually get back up!
Matt
 
Well, one can get an idea of how good that wood looks, but yea get some better pics one day and really amaze us!

I don't know much about the 33WCF except that its pretty dead, which is too bad, cause there are some nice rifles that need shooting.
 
Wow! That is a beautiful 86 and worth a bundle as well, looks like 3x or 4x wood. It should be marked on the left tang of the buttstock if you ever remove the buttstock or under the buttplate. The butt is probably hollowed out too if it's an extra lightweight.
 
i think i saw this one, or a very similar one recently at a gun show. it caused quite a stir when it was taken out. nice score!
 
i think i saw this one, or a very similar one recently at a gun show. it caused quite a stir when it was taken out. nice score!

Which show was this? I don't think this was the gun, but it's possible seeing I just picked it up a few weeks ago. Maybe there is a twin out here somewhere!

Mike, to answer some of your questions... Xs: This gun was one of the ones that got out the door without having the Xs stamped on the lower left tang. This is not uncommon. I would guess at least 2X though, but I have not handled enough deluxes to know. Hollow wood: The buttstock on this gun is not hollowed out either. A knowlegable fellow on the 33s in the US this week told me the following during a discussion of the same: "I've never personally seen a deluxe or semi-deluxe that has been hollowed out - I've inspected far more extra lights that don't have the hollowed out spot than have it - I can't find any consistent range of dates for when this was or was not done. Best I can tell, this area was hollowed out for balance rather than to reduce weight on the rifle, and may have been done on a case-by-case basis." Interesting eh? A friend of mine has an ELW 45-70 with half mag, and it is not hollowed. Given mine has a full mag, makes sense it is not hollowed out I guess. No need to balance the gun as it did not have the half mag. Assembly numbers: the gun does have matching assembly numbers.
Randy: May have some brass coming and may take you up on that offer! Tks!
Matt
 
I was broke before this one came along! May have to start selling.
BTW: I saw a NIB (but without the box) Savage no 17 sight at the Syracuse show a couple weeks ago. $1,000 was a bit out of my range though!! His prices were far too high on all his guns though too.
Matt
 
That's interesting about the hollowed out butts, I guess some of the books out there on Winchesters are confusing fact with opinion. A friend of mine owns five ELW'S and only two have hollow butts but I can't remember their configuration. Have to check, I wonder, does anybody know of a reference book available on Winchester lightweights?
 
That's interesting about the hollowed out butts, I guess some of the books out there on Winchesters are confusing fact with opinion. A friend of mine owns five ELW'S and only two have hollow butts but I can't remember their configuration. Have to check, I wonder, does anybody know of a reference book available on Winchester lightweights?

Is that Leon or Don?
Meanea
 
Back
Top Bottom