While you are on the site, in your browser find and click "Add to Home Screen" A CGN beaver app icon will then be created to your phone that is directly link to the site.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Has any one tried to shoot hollow back minis out of a smooth bore.Is there any accuracy or does the mini just tumble.Would patching the mini work.Graham
I'd be surprised if some good ole Southern boy didn't do it in the 1860's. Accuracy would likely be similar to any patched bullet out of a smooth bore. Don't have any documentation, of course. Pure speculation.
I'd be surprised if some good ole Southern boy didn't do it in the 1860's. Accuracy would likely be similar to any patched bullet out of a smooth bore. Don't have any documentation, of course. Pure speculation.
A round ball is inherently stable and many smoothbores can shoot fairly respectable groups out to 75 or 100 yards. Their biggest handicap is often the lack of a rear sight.
I would be very surprised if tumbling mini's would group anywhere near as well. One tumbling in the vertical plane would hit a long way from one tumbling in a horizontal plane.
There is a possibility that you might get a stabilixing effect from the base acting sort of like rocket fins but that would still not likely be even enough to give any impovement.
In the 1850s a bullet resembling a shotgun slug was used by some European armies in SB muskets and it was claimed to double the accurate range. There was a long thread on the britishmilitariaforums on this subject. Nettler bullet IIRC.
WHY?
I shoot a .50 cal So. Carolina style smooth bore flintlock rifle. To about 100 yds. it will compete with a rifled gun ( if I do my part). Try putting a over powder wad in and a patched round ball.