7.62x.39

...it's not impssible...

i) You can get a chamber adapter to convert a .308/7.62x51 to use 7.62x39
ii) You can re-chamber your rifle (one way trip)...

Hold one beside the other and, you'll see why it would be a bad idea to try and "exchange" them...

You do know they use different diameter bullets, right?
 
uh oh...not an old debate..

You do know they use different diameter bullets, right?

I am aware of the differing bore's diameters. I am aware of the historical debate.

The 'ol circuitous argument: You really shouldn't try to pack a .311 diameter bullet down a .308 bore. That, should be an axiom but, it isn't...ask any mini30 shooter who's managed to survive a case of cheap ammo passing through their barrels...(I agree...the .003 of an inch difference will reduce a barrel's life...not sure the shooter's is in jeapordy)

wait? Isn't the "locally" made 7.62x39 ammo a .308 bore/diameter?...

Long story short...I didn't suggest they should I'd suggested it isn't impossible...

...sorry about the hijack, only to re-iterate many, many other posts...
 
Last edited:
I am aware of the differing bore's diameters. I am aware of the historical debate.

The 'ol circuitous argument: You really shouldn't try to pack a .311 diameter bullet down a .308 bore. That, should be an axiom but, it isn't...ask any mini30 shooter who's managed to survive a case of cheap ammo passing through their barrels...(I agree...the .003 of an inch difference will reduce a barrel's life...not sure the shooter's is in jeapordy)

wait? Isn't the "locally" made 7.62x39 ammo a .308 bore/diameter?...

Long story short...I didn't suggest they should I'd suggested it isn't impossible...

...sorry about the hijack, only to re-iterate many, many other posts...

The original Mini 30's were .308 bore. The new ones are not, not since 1992.
 
Have a read guyz and decide whether I'll live or not. 300 rounds later and all is well. No dangerous situation even on a warm day. We used .002 tighter bores for NATO ammo in our target rifles to make them shoot better. Same principal here and I've never heard of older Ruger Mini-30 blowing up yet. It's in the throat design.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474023
 
We're hijacking!

Buddy [op] asked if the rounds were interchangeable....they are not. (on this we all seem to agree)

I, foolishly, suggested it wasn't "impossible" but, demonstrated it was a "step or, two" before it could be done (firing 7.62x39 out of a .308 bored rifle). I'm sorry to have "re-opened" a debate that, has been ongoing for quite a while...despite the "definitive" posts of those succesfully doing it!

...the fact I'm currently setting up an older 30-06 (also .308 bore family...) to do the same thing, should by no means taken as "the best of ideas" but, at least loan itself to staying in the realm of "possible"....
 
An interesting read is PO Ackley and his tests on many theories. Shooting .310 bullets down a .308 is very possible. Once a .310 bullet enters a .308 bore it instantly becomes a .308 bullet.

Firing a 7.62x39 cartridge in a .308 chamber is another matter entirely. Since the case is smaller diameter to begin with it'll probably slip inside the chamber and never fire anyway nor will a standard .308 boltface extractor hold the rim either.
 
x2 lejar. Some of the people on this board just get a little to carried away.

Bore diameters on many older rifles will vary more than .002, one way or the other. Especially if they are made up on milsurps. I've owned Lithgows with bore diameters anywhere from .307 to .316. If your rifle will shoot them well and is in good condition, it won't even notice the difference. I doubt it will wear the bore any more either.

Back to the original question. That is a common newbie question. Use the appropriate cartridge for the chamber of your firearm. The 7.62 in the cartridge description is the diameter of the bullet only. It can be pulled and used in other 30 calibre cartridges. The 39, describes the overall length of the cartridge. Many new shooters get confused by this and it is a valid question.
 
although it is labeled as 7.62x39 but the actual diameter is 7.92mm.

whoa! no! 7.92 is a wholly different beast(s)

7.92x33 was the german cartridge for their sturmgewher, developed on a tight schedule by shortening the 7.92x57(8x57)

I guess m43 ball would be closer to 7.7mm.(not to be confused with the arisaka one:D)

The barnes 7.62x39 bullets i have are about .310 inches, but the bores on military guns could easily vary by a few thousandths...
 
Back
Top Bottom