.270 vs 30-06

30-06 vs .270

  • 30-06

    Votes: 82 64.6%
  • .270

    Votes: 45 35.4%

  • Total voters
    127
Depends on what you want to do with either one. I have both calibers and have shot them in similar situations. both are proven calibers for large game. I have shot my Browning .270 with 100 gr bullets at distant gophers and they literally vaporize. The 30.06 Midland- Parker Hale is my son's favourite 200 yard target rifle. So either one can have several usages. Both have put down deer at about the same distances for me.
 
my .270 is my go to gun.
I have a 7mm mag, 25-06, 30-06, 7mm-08, and the .270

If I am taking large game over 250 yards, I prefer the 30-06 as there is more retained energy than the .270.

That being said, my .270 is a more accurate shooter than the 30-06.

It isn't the size of the bullet or the energy that kills, it's where you put the bullet that counts.

Ideally I would keep my .270, sell my 30-06, and buy a .308

Then I would have all the ranges covered for anything that walks in North America.

For the record, I have killed a grizzly with my .270 with one shot.
 
If you reload I would lean towards 30-06 as there are more options in bullets, but if not I would lean more towards 270, because there's less recoil to deal with and not much difference inside 150 yards.
 
For most uses, you would be hard pressed to see any difference. For long range, the nod goes to the 30-06.

My 2¢.
 
I read somewhere long ago that the .30-06 will shoot a 150 gr. bullet as flat as a .270 popping a 140 gr. pill (or was it a 130 gr.?)

Anyways, the .30-06 is a way more versatile round being able to be loaded from 110 - 220 grains, and the same load is more likely to be accurate in a variety of different rifles. Not so with the .270, as they can be finicky (I used to have one that was and dumped it to go back to the .30-06.)

I have also read a statement from a brass manufacturer who claimed they had more rejects forming .270 Win brass than any other caliber.

I bought a sh**tload of 180 gr. Federal Power-Shok when it was on sale at S.I.R. a few years ago. It will handle anything I want to hunt and I found out years ago it is the cleanest burning factory load I ever shot, with accuracy unbeaten by any other.
 
Its really a mather of personnal choice and preference.
i'm shooting&Hunting since 1985.
I still have in my safe a 25-06, 30-06, 300 wsm, 375 H&H, 22-250, 308 ( target rifle ).
And my last one is a 7mm-08, must admit i absolutely adore it.
Pick-one ? no idea, Flip a coin .....
The most accurate ( hunting ) is my 7mm-08 and my 30-06 both Winchester 70.
the 25-06 is a Tikka T3 and dont like heavy bullet like 110gr and over.
but 85/100gr + imr-4350.
I still have a Browning BLR 308, but i dont used it at all, but damn accurate too with 150gr.
I tend to recommand the 270 for small big game only.
and 30-06 when serious big game are in sight.
Bad experience on a big moose with the 270win a 400 feet, aim the spine with the 150gr partition, drop like hell, go to camp grab ATV and bodyes,back: no moose/no blood.
after 5 hour finally find him dead 800 feet west side, after field dressing : bullet hit the spine, not enought power to fracture, bullet exploded on impact and jacquet goes in lungs area, up and walk 800 feet, suffer. Since then i only shoot mosse with decent caliber like 300 mag, but my Sako Finnlight is rude on shoulder.
youre call and my 0.02 cent.
A+
 
Its really a mather of personnal choice and preference.
i'm shooting&Hunting since 1985.
I still have in my safe a 25-06, 30-06, 300 wsm, 375 H&H, 22-250, 308 ( target rifle ).
And my last one is a 7mm-08, must admit i absolutely adore it.
Pick-one ? no idea, Flip a coin .....
The most accurate ( hunting ) is my 7mm-08 and my 30-06 both Winchester 70.
the 25-06 is a Tikka T3 and dont like heavy bullet like 110gr and over.
but 85/100gr + imr-4350.
I still have a Browning BLR 308, but i dont used it at all, but damn accurate too with 150gr.
I tend to recommand the 270 for small big game only.
and 30-06 when serious big game are in sight.
Bad experience on a big moose with the 270win a 400 feet, aim the spine with the 150gr partition, drop like hell, go to camp grab ATV and bodyes,back: no moose/no blood.
after 5 hour finally find him dead 800 feet west side, after field dressing : bullet hit the spine, not enought power to fracture, bullet exploded on impact and jacquet goes in lungs area, up and walk 800 feet, suffer. Since then i only shoot mosse with decent caliber like 300 mag, but my Sako Finnlight is rude on shoulder.
youre call and my 0.02 cent.
A+

I have hunted with both and can't say as there is muchof a difference, At 400 ft the 270 with 150's should break a spine on a moose everytime! we are talking about a 130 yard shot here.

A 270 has been used for many years on moose and i have seen moose taken as far as 478 yards with a 270 cleanly with the moose dropping pretty much where he stood.
Bottom line is if a 270 failed on a moose at 130 yards shot placement was to blame.

As far as the debate between th 30-06 or 270 take your pick they are both good. I do believe the 270 is a bit more accurate because of higher SD of the bullets in most cases though.
 
For anything up to and including deer in size, the .270 is better. For deer on up in size, the .30-06 is better. "Better" is a very subtle thing in this comparison, however.
 
Back
Top Bottom