trapdoor Springfield

Papaclaude

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I've got an original 1873 trapdoor 45-70. The barrel and action are original, but it's been shortened (to about 18.5") and sporting sights put on it. the wood is also original, but has been shortened. The barrel is pitted, but the rifling is still clear and it shoots quite well. Any idea as to how much something like this could sell for? The wood and metal are in quite good condition.
 
I've seen some pretty decent, all original trapdoors at ww w.trapdoorcollector.com for $650 and up. I,ve never seen a bubba'd one there though. At best, what you have is a parts gun, worth a few hundred dollars.
 
I bought one something like you are describing for $250. If yours has a buffington rear sight, it would go about $100 higher. I rebarreled mine to 38-55 which makes a nice fun gun to shoot, particularly at turkey shoots.

cheers mooncoon
 
Re-barreled

I bought one something like you are describing for $250. If yours has a buffington rear sight, it would go about $100 higher. I rebarreled mine to 38-55 which makes a nice fun gun to shoot, particularly at turkey shoots.

cheers mooncoon
Where did you get your barrel and what did it cost you to get it done? I hadn't thought of re-barreling.
 
Where did you get your barrel and what did it cost you to get it done? I hadn't thought of re-barreling.

I used a surplus excellent condition Ron Smith barrel; cut the threads off and refitted to the trapdoor, then rechambered. I made a new extractor because I did not want to alter the original one. It cost me about $100 for the barrel. I have a metal lathe so all the rest was free.
I think new Ron Smith barrels are $300, and new US made barrels would run at least $250 I think. The cost of fitting and chambering is going to vary depending on who does the work but I would expect would add another $200 to the cost.
Bottom line I suppose is that the cost of rebarreling plus your original action works out to about the same as finding a trapdoor in good condition, unless you have a lathe and the ability to do the work yourself.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom