So is it OK for me to drive to Seattle and get a Flintlock BP rifle and drive back?

CRAZYLOCH

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.3%
57   1   0
Location
604 Canuckistan
I am still a bit confused, If i go buy a Flintlock say Traditions BP rifle from the US and drive back to canada after my daily shopping is it ok?

I do have PAL and Longterm ATT, but they should not be needed right since its an antique? am i correct?

Also i read in the info sheets I can buy up to 5000 rounds of small arms ammo? is this .22LR? then? And also some Black Powder?

Help.
 
You are looking at Canadian Laws... You also need to look at the US laws and the export laws from the US...

Black powder is an explosive... you are looking for trouble even possessing it in the US

The ammo is a definite No and flintlock I think is still considered to be a gun in the US and would then be a no..
 
Really? I'd double check.

Mooncoon can tell you about flinters and the border..........

Unless he has an export permit he can't LEGALLY take the ammo out of the US.. That I'm positive about..

To be honest he shouldn't even be in possession of it unless he has a hunting license and/or form 6 NIA (depending on what his stated purpose of being in the US is for)

There must be 100 threads on this discussion..
 
Stand corrected I forgot that the US is more draconian than we thier learned neighbours. Been a while since I lived close enough to the border to pay attention to the 100s of threads.

BTW can't he just get an online hunting liscence for some state or another for 16.00 USD IIRC? Then would he be allowed to go from the Gun shop to the border with his new toys or do they have to be inscribed in left over DNA sample blood on his passport when he crosses into the land of the free?

Myself I would'nt bother travelling anywhere that the gov fears thier allie's possession of a piece of flint and a tube or a box of walmart 22lr. Plus thier smokes taste like tar and the beer well don't get me started.

Crazy loch why not just drive over to good old Reliable Gun and Tackle and let em know what you need. Prices seem pretty competitive in the canadian catalogues for what you describe. Or there is a beauty flinter in the EE now.
 
Stand corrected I forgot that the US is more draconian than we thier learned neighbours. Been a while since I lived close enough to the border to pay attention to the 100s of threads.

BTW can't he just get an online hunting liscence for some state or another for 16.00 USD IIRC? Then would he be allowed to go from the Gun shop to the border?

Myself I would'nt bother travelling anywhere that the gov fears thier allie's possession of a piece of flint and a tube. So how do mooncoon and those guys get back and forth to thier US destinations laden with soft lead and coonskin caps?

He could get the license.. but unless he is going hunting he would have lied to the border agent on his purpose.. The ammo he buys he should be using in the US.. the license would allow him to possess it.. But not export it..
 
If the flintlock is deemed to be an antique under US law, then you are fine picking it up and bringing it back. The black powder is different.
 
All muzzlelaoders in the US are deemed "prescibed antiques" and do not require a FFL to buy them. As an alien in the US you cannot buy or possess ammuntion .
I have talked to the BATF regarding possessing BP in the States, and received 2 different conflicting answers ? it also falls under the jurisdiction of home land security.
Crazyloch if you send me your email , I'll send you a copy of of my letter from the BATF and the US Federal Regs .
Cheers nessy.
 
Wow, I think i will just buy one at Wholesale sports or International.... lol

Oh Reliable does NOT carry black powder.. they can't and they also do not offer any blackpowder rifles. period. :)

Thanks for the heads up everyone!
 
He could get the license.. but unless he is going hunting he would have lied to the border agent on his purpose.. The ammo he buys he should be using in the US.. the license would allow him to possess it.. But not export it..


I never suggested any one lie to anyone.

Anyway sounds like it is best to simply stay out of the whole country if a box of 22 lr would send you to guantanamo.

My apologies for any mis information I may have spued, who could of imagined how ridiculous things have gotten.
 
Here's a couple of tips if you are crossing the US border with, and/or returning with muzzleloaders.
Make a copy of this from the CFC website
Antique Firearms Fact Sheet
If you own or wish to acquire an antique firearm, here is some information you should know about how the Firearms Act applies to firearms that meet the definition of an antique, as set out in the Criminal Code and the Criminal Code Regulations.

The Definition of an Antique
The Criminal Code defines antique firearms as:

•firearms manufactured before 1898 that were not designed or re-designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, or
•firearms prescribed as antique firearms in the Criminal Code regulations. These are:
Black Powder Reproductions:
of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897; (All other reproductions must be registered and owners must have a firearm licence to possess them. For example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles will be considered firearms and not antiques.) http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

At the border, declare you have "muskets", ( they understand that the best)
You will in all likelyhood be asked for your "form 6"?
State polietly they are "prescribed antiques" and show copies of the following.

Docs0002.jpg



Docs.jpg


Docs0005.jpg


Docs0006.jpg


Docs0007.jpg


While they are reading this, very politely mention , that an FFL Federal firearms license) is not required to purchase any muzzleloader in the US. Again you're talking lingo they understand, very important.
Hope this helps.

Cheers nessy.
 
Save yourself grif at the border, all the explenations just order on line Dixie shipps to Canada. Flintlocks longguns no need for any licence.
I bought one from dixie it is called tenessy rifle, looks good above fire place, to shoot it hahaha. It shoots but, when you want it fire it always fails me
 
A traditions rifle is hardly worth any stressful thought or consideration.

If your dead set on getting a -cheap mass produced flintlock rifle...at least get a pedersoli one


There is a BIG difference in the flint lock mech between them both...you will learn it sooner then later....


So wham!!!!!

Like magic I will save you a pile of money and say just get a flintlock pedersoli rifle sent straight to your door.

A adequately built flintlock ---well maintained by a literate human being---- will give you reliable performance in the worst of conditions .
 
Back
Top Bottom