Anyone make their own powder?

Can you quote me the relevant legal info? I remember in the eighties and nineties several experiments in chemistry class involving explosives: black powder and its many variations, ammonium tri-iodide, a few more reactive ones involving aluminum powder....These experiments were, at the time, completely legal.

If this has changed it would be good to see the actual document.

For reference making explosives for experimental purposes is not illegal and is expressly permitted under the act, per "Regulations Respecting Explosives (C.R.C., c. 599)" available online at http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C.R.C.-C.599/page-4.html#anchorbo-ga:l_IV

"34. A person may, for the purpose of laboratory chemical experiment and not for practical use or sale, make a small quantity of explosive in a place that is not a licensed factory if reasonable precautions are observed to prevent injury to persons or damage to property and if the provisions of the Act and these Regulations are observed as far as they are otherwise applicable. "

Although since 2008 potassium nitrate is regulated and you are required to identify yourself and explain to the supplier (i.e. neighborhood pharmicist) why you want it.
 
I was going to make some powder but spent about two weeks trying to find potassium nitrate in the Vancouver area, couldn't find any.........so I bought some Jim Shockey's Yukon Gold and haven,t looked back, the sub does not have a sulfur smell and burns fast. If I find a source for the potassium nitrate I will try to make some BP in small batches.
 
I was going to make some powder but spent about two weeks trying to find potassium nitrate in the Vancouver area, couldn't find any.........so I bought some Jim Shockey's Yukon Gold and haven,t looked back, the sub does not have a sulfur smell and burns fast. If I find a source for the potassium nitrate I will try to make some BP in small batches.

I've got a good deal of pure, how much do you want? Shoot me a PM, will be in the Fraser Valley soon as well.
 
So...?

For reference making explosives for experimental purposes is not illegal and is expressly permitted under the act, per "Regulations Respecting Explosives (C.R.C., c. 599)" available online at http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C.R.C.-C.599/page-4.html#anchorbo-ga:l_IV

"34. A person may, for the purpose of laboratory chemical experiment and not for practical use or sale, make a small quantity of explosive in a place that is not a licensed factory if reasonable precautions are observed to prevent injury to persons or damage to property and if the provisions of the Act and these Regulations are observed as far as they are otherwise applicable. "

Although since 2008 potassium nitrate is regulated and you are required to identify yourself and explain to the supplier (i.e. neighborhood pharmicist) why you want it.

So what do you tell the pharmacist...?
 
Go ask the pharmacist for it. They keep lots of stuff behind the counter to cut down on abuse, but will hand it over if you look like a reasonable facsimile of a decent human being.

Try asking them where it is kept, if you don't want to be too direct.

If they ask what it's for, tell them. They may care, but probably not, unless you look like a teenager up to no good (like we always looked when buying saltpeter :D)

Cheers
Trev
 
I don't know where you buy your heroin but what would you think of $40.00 for a pound of ordinance grade potassium nitrate?

Ouch. I think I'd be looking for an old barn (dirt floor), or a cave where bats are known to frequent. It would be worth it to "make" potassium nitrate
the old fashioned way, at $40 per pound.

One of the old Foxfire books has a section devoted to old methods of recovering saltpeter from old barns, etc.


Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom