Which powder to use?

CRAZYLOCH

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.3%
57   1   0
Location
604 Canuckistan
I am new to ML and shooting a Kentucky 50 cal flintlock.

I hear Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFg is good for both main charge and pan use.

I notice Pyrodex is way cheaper to buy, is it as good? Do i Use P or RS?

Advice please.

Thank you
 
Flintlocks prefer genuine black powder. Subs will work, but you can have ignition issues.

With black the preference is 4fg for priming, 3f will work, but you can have ignition issues.

To use subs in a flintlock most advice I have heard involves priming with 4fg black, then loading 5-10gr 4fg before the substitute and then projectile.

Pyrodex rs would be my recommendation for a 50.

I had the odd ignition issue with my caplock 50 using subs, a switch to musket caps gave it the extra snap it needed to streighten things out. Even then it still prefers standard 2fg for accuracy.

Hope this helps, and if I am wrong someone corrects me, but this is the advise I have always got.
 
Real Black powder is almost non-exisitant in BC. NO dealer has it. Closest i can get is Pyrodex or Triple 7 :(

Anyone know where i can get real BP?
 
Last edited:
I don't know where you can get BP but I can tell you that you will have nothing but problems with substitutes in your rifle and "777" is not a safe powder to use due to it's being more powerful than BP and it;s much more difficult, in my opinion, than BP. Someone in your neighbourhood will have a stash of BP. Dave PS - if you are not far from the US border it is much more available there and cheaper. It is not on the USA "export prohibited" list and you can bring 8 Kg's in 1 pound containers into Canada legally on every trip you make to the US.
 
I am new to ML and shooting a Kentucky 50 cal flintlock.

I hear Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFg is good for both main charge and pan use.

I notice Pyrodex is way cheaper to buy, is it as good? Do i Use P or RS?

Advice please.

Thank you
For a flintlock, it`s almost a given that you have to use BP....Pyrodex and 777 require a higher temperature to ignite, so you will be plagued with ignition problems....Some people say they can get around this by enlarging the vent hole, but I notice that they still have problems....777 is a higher pressure BP substitute, and Hodgdon recommends reducing the charge by 10% (by volume)... And, because of this, avoid using these powders in the flash pan....For a 50 cal, use FFg for the main charge (50-60gr, by volume is a good start), and use BP 4Fg for the pan, although i have used 3Fg and even 2Fg....
 
Real Black powder is almost non-exisitant in BC. NO dealer has it. Closed powder is Pyrodex or Triple 7 :(

Anyone know where i can get real BP?

Contact the various black powder clubs in B.C., there is a big one at Kamploops, the Malahat Marauders is another.
They can give you some super advice on how to knap a flint, keep a frizzen clean, ,and load FFFG inot a pan - the best mnames I know of for the job at the moment are Tylor Sapergia from Prince george and Mooncoon ( Doug miller) from Duncan - he posts here regularly, but I'm not too sure about Tylor, haven't talked to him in ages....
Cat
 
Like everyone else has said:

Flintlock + real BP = GOOD TO GO. :)

Flintlock + 777 or Pyro = PROBLEMS. :(

Oh man... I heard being a non US resident, i am Not allow to posses BP in the US. is this true?

If not I will just get 10lbs or so and bring it back on my next shopping trip :)
 
Last edited:
Black powder is cheaper and more available in the USA. There are no US export regulations for black powder and according to Canada Customs you can import 8 Kg's into Canada for each trip you make to the US the only issue is that it cannot be bulk but has to be in one pound containers. That equates to 17 pounds. The last I purchased was Goex @ $12.95 / lb. compared to $30.00 / lb. at my retailer in Canada. That is roughly a savings of $280.00 for that amount. This subject has been covered here on Gunnutz in prior posts. The last I remember seeing it there was also a link to the BATF to the exemption for BP and BP guns. Please don't just take my word on this! On your way over the border the next time stop at both the Canadian Customs and also the USA side and go in to ask. Also ask for a copy of the regs in case you get someone on the Canadian side when you return, who does not know. Dave
PS - It was one of the regulars here who gave me the poop on the US regs so hopefully he'll speak up again.
 
Last edited:
Just so's ya know, I've shot front stuffers for years and had numerous problems with misfires/hangfires/. Then I decided to try real BP last year and have not had even 1 problem.(TC sidelock). I read a good article (I'll try to get the authors name at work) about Pyrodex. The author used 4 cans of Pyrodex, opened each something like 6 months apart and kept 1 can unopened for a final test. The end result was the powder seemed to deteriorate over about a year. Same load chrono'd lost a LOT of velocity/accuracy and when he tried the final unopend can the accuracy/velocity returned to the original state. If I remember correctly he said after 1 1/2 years it was like shooting "dirt". I know some guys have had good results with Pyro, just not for me in a caplock. I'll try it again if I'm unable to get real BP or if I end up getting an inline.
 
If you need bp and you live in the Fraser valley, there is a shoot in chilliwack the 17-18th. There should be at least one trader there. Plus you can shoot and have some fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom