Accuracy question

I have never had any accuracy troubles with factory .30-06 Remington Core Lokt ammo in the past, but the factory ammo days are far behind me. Maybe your rifle just doesn't like em. Try a different brand and see what happens.
 
Try some winchester super X silver box with large red X on them they hade them in 165gr
in 06 shot extreemly good in older 760 18.5" barrel
manitou
 
"...whats up with this?..." Are you expecting one hole groups at 125 with an 18.5" pump action? 4-5" groups will do for deer hunting.
Try some other ammo brands, at 100, but don't expect match accuracy.
 
"...whats up with this?..." Are you expecting one hole groups at 125 with an 18.5" pump action? 4-5" groups will do for deer hunting.
Try some other ammo brands, at 100, but don't expect match accuracy.
+1. Seriously??!! It's a short barrel, pump action. You want accuracy, get a 24" barrelled bolt. It'll out-shoot an 18.5" barrelled bolt all day, or a 24" pump all day, and the combination of both a short barrel and pump, it'll out-shoot ALL YEAR!!
You get what you buy. As my sig line says...know your limitations.
 
+1. Seriously??!! It's a short barrel, pump action. You want accuracy, get a 24" barrelled bolt. It'll out-shoot an 18.5" barrelled bolt all day, or a 24" pump all day, and the combination of both a short barrel and pump, it'll out-shoot ALL YEAR!!

Do you really believe that a bolt gun with a 24" barrel will always be more accurate than a bolt gun with an 18.5" barrel?Do you really believe that increasing the barrel length,increases the accuracy?We are talking scoped rifles.

You should have a look at the link below.

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length
 
Last edited:
I've yet to see a solid explanation of why a bolt action would be more accurate than a pump action. Once the round is chambered it really shouldn't matter how the round got into the chamber.
 
I've yet to see a solid explanation of why a bolt action would be more accurate than a pump action. Once the round is chambered it really shouldn't matter how the round got into the chamber.

The stronger,and more rigid the action,the less distortion upon firing,the greater the potential accuracy.Which action do you suppose is stronger and more rigid?
 
I'm shooting a 30-06 (new gun) and having a hell of a time. Shooting factory CoreLokt ammo, gun is 7600 carbine 18.5" barrel 2-7x32. 180grain 50yds clover leafing shots 125yds not so great 4-5" groups??? 165grain same thing. whats up with this, is it me or can the ammo be that bad? Have yet to try 150grain but I purchased the gun for the purpose of shooting heavier bullets. Scope is good and tight no problems there. Not the only gun I own and have never expierianced this kind of inconsistancy, any thaughts.

Some questions for you:

Are you shooting from a rest ?(i.e. sandbags)
Are you letting the rifle cool between groups?
Is the scope true on the rings - level front to back and side to side?
Is the rifle new or new to you?

If it's cloverleafing at 50, it stands to reason you will get a spread at 125 yards. If you can, take another experienced shooter along and see if they get the same results. That may point to a scope problem..

Bob
 
If it's cloverleafing at 50, it stands to reason you will get a spread at 125 yards. If you can, take another experienced shooter along and see if they get the same results. That may point to a scope problem..

If there is a scope problem,you shouldn't be shooting cloverleafs at 50 yards.
 
The scope is fine and I do have other rifles, but have never seen this much spread. I'm quite sure now after the fact, is the trigger is not great. As some here say a 24" barrel is more accurate, sorry I do not agree. I will try some different loads and see what I can get. Maybe I just spend some extra time getting used to the crappy trigger pull.
 
cheek weld incinsistancies? respiratory pause issues? flinchng?
I have to think its related to shooter error. If you are getting clover leafs at 50 yards, I am thinking that technique flaws are being magnified at distance.
 
Do you really believe that a bolt gun with a 24" barrel will always be more accurate than a bolt gun with an 18.5" barrel?Do you really believe that increasing the barrel length,increases the accuracy?We are talking scoped rifles.

You should have a look at the link below.

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length

Sorry, just got back to this. Stubblejumper, you are correct. I meant to say, "an 18.5" barrelled pump rifle".
 
with other rifles have you been able to get smaller groups at long range? 125 is not that far, could be the nut behind the butt plate.
 
You are right. It does not make sense.

Is the scope a shotgun scope with a short parallax distance?

My experience with a 7600 in 35 Whlen and 308 is that they are close to 1 MOA rifles. have you tried with a different scope and ammo?
 
Back
Top Bottom