Blackpowder residue corrosive on sink fittings?

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
So today I noticed water coming from my ceiling into the kitchen, after a thorough investigation I discovered the bathroom sink directly above to have a deteriorated bottom portion where the plumbing fits in (ie, we need a new sink) which caused the leak. I cleaned alot of black goup away from the area in order to get a good look and alot of it smelled like blackpowder residue, which makes sence since I clean my BP guns in this sink. The sink is probably 30 years old and original to the house, so it could just be old but is it possible the BP could have eaten away at these parts of the sink? I've only been shooting BP for less than a year.
 
Probably didn't help, but the fittings being near 30 years old may have been more of a contributing factor. I clean my bp stuff into 5 gallon pails - flushing my lever action bores, and my muzzleloader, and than the water gets hucked into the back alley.
 
Residue in old plumbing pipes can have a sulfur odor. Natural bacteria at work.

While some of my brass cleaning gear has some discolouration , nothing has rotted in 35 years of use. I suspect that the cleaning gear would be more at risk than dilute residue going down the drain.
Likely just old plumbing reaching the end of it's useful life.
 
Steel sink?

Was it an enameled steel sink? It is very common for them to rot out where the drain connects. The overflow channel holds water and causes the sink to corrode at that point. And as said earlier the residue tends to get a sulphur smell to it. Either that or someone has been using a commercial drain cleaner as it uses sulphuric acid.
Oh by the way, you must be either single or enjoy sleeping on the couch if you clean your bp guns indoors.

Cheers. Steve.
 
Back
Top Bottom