Cannon question

drache

BANNED
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
BANNED
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
Can you use Triple Se7en in your mini cannons? I've heard some people state you can and others state that it's dangerous.

I've been dying to get my Golf Ball Mortar back up and running but finding Blackpowder is a ##### unless I want to pay $75 for a $25 can after shipping and taxes.
 
Can you use Triple Se7en in your mini cannons? I've heard some people state you can and others state that it's dangerous.

I've been dying to get my Golf Ball Mortar back up and running but finding Blackpowder is a ##### unless I want to pay $75 for a $25 can after shipping and taxes.

If the mini cannon is only about .50 cal, you probably can, assuming the barrel is reasonably thick. More or less what you can shoot in a pistol, you can shoot in a mini cannon.
If you can drive to Heffley creek next week, there should be several vendors there with powder for sale. Pick up several cans to make the drive worth while

cheers mooncoon
 
If the mini cannon is only about .50 cal, you probably can, assuming the barrel is reasonably thick. More or less what you can shoot in a pistol, you can shoot in a mini cannon.
If you can drive to Heffley creek next week, there should be several vendors there with powder for sale. Pick up several cans to make the drive worth while

cheers mooncoon

My cannon is a golf ball mortar and the walls of the cannon are pretty thick (I'll run down and measure right now).

As for Heffley creek, a 7 hour round trip is a little much to simply go for black powder :p
 
The mortar has a bore of 1.68" and the thickness of the walls is .9"

I swear sometimes I threaten to turn this thing into a lawn ornament....

Now I've also read on a website about cannons that "Hodgdon Pyrodex RS Muzzleloading Powder" can be used:

With small cannon, black powder is the only thing to use safely with the exception of (RS) Pyrodex and other new black powder substitutes for ball shooting. Pyrodex is similar to black powder, however it differs in weight (it's much lighter) and is safer to handle. Its' correct usage, is to use it in equal volume as black powder. As it burns faster, I would use less than equal volume. In many trials, Pyrodex only created a flame and smoke when used as a blank load. Never, never mix powders! The effect is not nearly as good as using black powder.
Under no circumstances use smokeless powder (it burns too quickly).

And word on this as well?
 
$60.00! I picked him up some pyrodex a couple months ago and it was around $30/lb at P & D IIRC

Picking up yes, shipping no. Unless I want to take an entire day to drive to a city to pick some up I have to order it.

I've called up every gunstore in my immediate area (within a 4 hour return trip) and none have anything (BP, pyrodex, or 777) in stock.
 
That is a good sight farther than Heffley. The 7 hour return trip (to Heffley) becomes more economical if you buy 10 or 20 lbs of powder.

cheers mooncoon
I realise that, Larry goes to a number of Rendezvous and has a lot of contacts and customers in Bc, it's possible he might have someone heading close to you. He's worth giving a try, just might take a little longer.
Cheers nessy
 
Heffley Creek rendezvous when is that????

It starts on Saturday and runs until Labour Day. The main rendezvous ends on the Saturday and the last two days are the Heffley Creek clubs rondy continuing on. Heffley is roughly 12 miles north of Kamloops on the Yellowhead highway and the range is 2 miles up the road headed towards the ski resort. Turn in on the dirt road to the garbage dump and go another 1/2 mile or so beyond. Should be 200 - 300 people there

cheers mooncoon
 
Pyrodex can be had from Wholesale sports in Kamloops and Goex from Del Selin in Vernon... if you're down that way.
 
The Rendezvous is organised and run by individuals and clubs which uses the Heffley Creek Range.The Heffley Creek club won't allow the cannon shoot because of a liability issue.
Cheers nessy
 
Back
Top Bottom