Did this start out as a Fowler?? A Flint Trade Gun?

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
fowler1-1.jpg



trade2.jpg

trade.jpg

trade1.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg



take care

jpc
 
Last edited:
Beautiful gun, man :D Don't mean to hijack but a fowler is basically like a shotgun, right? Are there any models on the market today?
 
You have what was originally a so called "Chief's Gun". These were distributed by the British Gov't. in connection with treaties. It has been converted from flint to percussion, and restocked, no doubt contemporary with use. Originally it would have had a silver thumbpiece with a bust of an Indian with bow and arrow.
 
You have what was originally a so called "Chief's Gun". These were distributed by the British Gov't. in connection with treaties. It has been converted from flint to percussion, and restocked, no doubt contemporary with use. Originally it would have had a silver thumbpiece with a bust of an Indian with bow and arrow.

Thanks for the information tiriaq.

Is the brass hardware original to the piece?

take care

jpc
 
The brass hardware looks to be original. The sideplate and pipes certainly are. The front finial of the trigger guard has a three lobed shape? Which contractor's name is on the lockplate? Wilson?
I suspect that the original stock got broken, and the parts were restocked during the 19th century by someone who knew what he was doing. The fit and styling are good.
These guns turn up from time to time in Southern Ontario. Not that they are common, but I think their survival rate is pretty good, most likely because they were very nice little guns.
This is an Indian gun, but it is not an Indian trade gun. More a diplomatic presentation piece.
Go to www.northstarwest.com, and you will see what the silver thumbpiece looked like.
 
The buttplate, with boar's head and hunting horn is correct. The trigger guard is not typical, although is likely period. I'll have a look at an original and see if this one was adapted.
 
the circle fox certainly looks appropriate for a trade gun; I would have to check when HBC or the North West co used the circle fox and when.
I would agree with Tiriaq that the gun is a restock but looks like an old restock

cheers mooncoon
 
I thought the "chief's guns" were built on converted Baker rifles or parts of same? Or was that only some of them?
 
These Chief's Guns were made by the same contractors who made trade guns and other muskets under government contract. During this period there were serpent sideplate guns distributed by the Indian Department of the British Government. They look for all the world like a Northwest Company fur trade gun, were made to the same pattern and specifications, but are not trade guns. I have a Moxham made gun with the I/l\D brands of the Indian Department. At the same time that the Board of Ordnance took over the inventory of East India Company muskets and musket production, they also acquired trade pattern muskets for issue to Indian irregulars and militia.
 
Back
Top Bottom