Pyrodex

IronBandit

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,, anybody out there use/tried Pyrodex powder ?? I would like to here some discussion on this,, its supposed to be a BP substitute, less fowling, cleaner burn, but a little harder to ignite.
 
I don't use it myself, but I know a lot of guys who do. They have no complaints. Are you just looking for opinions?
 
Well,, yes I'm looking for opinions,, the reason being that BP is not as accessable as 20yrs ago :)), the way things are going I suspect BP not lasting on the canadian market for to many yrs.,, i hope I'm wrong. I do appriciate your comments. Thanks
 
I don't like pyrodex in older firearms as it is corrosive and not in the same way as black powder residue . black powder residue just attracts moisture but is not corrosive but will cause it .
 
Pyrodex is more corrosive and harder to clean than real black powder, and harder to ignite. I used it for quite a few years with good results, but now use only real black powder, and find my clean up time cut in 1/2. As long as I can get black powder I will use it, but Pyrodex would be my next choice. I tried 777 but did not like it at all.
 
I use pyrodex in my inline muzzleloader and it is great but with my Hawken style side hammer rifles I got hangfires with pyrodex.
 
Hi,, anybody out there use/tried Pyrodex powder ?? I would like to here some discussion on this,, its supposed to be a BP substitute, less fowling, cleaner burn, but a little harder to ignite.

I use it in my 36 cal and it works just fine, a little less smokey, and less dangerous than black powder.
 
Heard the same thing and most if not all of it is BS.
It still fowls badly....and is of course corrosive
BUT...it shoots just fine out of my encore and I've used it down to -40C without any ignition problems....even with the small rifle primer conversion.

I heard the Jim Shockey stuff was clean and no corrosive but stated to fail once you could see your breath.....plus it is pricey....
 
I prefer real black, and I've never had a fowling problem, I'm going waterfowl hunting in the morning! I have had a few fouling problems however with substitutes.
 
Pyrodex loading

I have had none of the problems that have been mentioned. Hard to say if it fouls less than bp though. One thing is that Pyrodex is not the same as bp per volume. In other words 50 grains of Pyrodex has about 20% more boom than an equal measure of bp. I seem to recall some statement on the can that stated something to that effect. I just use bp as its just more fun! It will go off in a flinter ,which is something Pyrodex will not do.

Cheers. Steve.
 
I tried Pyrodex RS in 38-55 with reasonable results but it was too long ago to remember how hard was it to clean.It was definitely harder to ignite.I had to use magnum primers to keep it on paper.Ill go back to it if i ever find a good deal.
 
I have had none of the problems that have been mentioned. Hard to say if it fouls less than bp though.
One thing is that Pyrodex is not the same as bp per volume. In other words 50 grains of Pyrodex has about 20% more boom than an equal measure of bp.
I seem to recall some statement on the can that stated something to that effect. I just use bp as its just more fun! It will go off in a flinter ,which is something Pyrodex will not do.

Cheers. Steve.

That would be 777 (loose)...and it's 15% stronger.

Pyrodex is measured the same as BP.
Is it cleaner than BP...not really & still corrosive.
Is it easier to find...absolutely.
Harder to ignite...I won't use it in my flintlock...not a problem in a 209 or #11 gun.
 
I have used it for hundres of shots in my son and my Snider enfields. They are pretty easy rifles to clean no matter what you use, shot cartridges go into a jar of diluted vinigar about 10% by volume and the barrels get a good spray of same then cleaned at home with boiling water and patches.

I also always keep petrolium lubes away from my "PB" guns bore butter only bought or home made I run a well soaked patch through the barrel while it is still hot I believe this does more for ease of cleanup than anything else.

Measure it [volume] in comparison to black powder do not weigh it. There are comparison charts online for all types of BP and substitutes. I also do not like 777 as it usually requires filler in the cartridge cases.

Dave M.
 
I get hangfires when I use it in my sidelocks even with musket caps. Never had any problems with 209 primers. I just switched back from 777, as I found my particular rifle favors it.
 
I used Pyrodex in my Shiloh .45-90 all of last year and most of this one. I found to get reliable ignition Winchester Magnum primers were in order. With fresh Pyrodex, accuracy was incredible, fouling and energy density were comparable to Goex. My supply of new Pyrodex ran out and I had some much older stuff on hand. It turned out disasterous, and accuracy went out the window. Cleanup was a breeze. Windex with Vinegar cleaned everything up in short order, and then a coat of Ballistol in the bore.

Yes, it's harder to light than black, and is likely more corrosive, but if one cleans up right away, that isn't really a problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom