Never trust the seller on what year a gun was made always get the s/n and check it!

Cbsa(customs) lets stuff through that they should stop only to have other officials kick in your door to seize them in your possession.In this case it would be best to cover your ASSetts like you did.Especially considering the political events with the police chiefs speaking up about zero tolerance for firearm owners.
Really???????? I would like to hear of a case like that .

What was the info from customs?
I am presuming they thought it was 1897 as they sent it on to you?
I would have done more checking before I would have cut it.
 
Really???????? I would like to hear of a case like that .
.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324689&highlight=sureshot


CHILLIWACK (NEWS1130) - RCMP are showing off an array of seized guns and ammunition after the weekend arrest of a

Port Coquitlam gun store owner. The discovery was made in a mail-processing plant. Border agents were checking

packages and what they found was a package full of armour-piercing rounds and magazines for semi-automatic rifles.

RCMP arrested the gun-store owner and his common law wife after a man picked that package up at a mail box in

Surrey. The parcel contained 64 high capacity magazines designed for use in AR-15 and AR-15 9 mm Carbine Rifle.

Police seem sure the ammo would have ended up in the hands of gang members, but at this time the two suspects have

not been linked to organized crime.
 
Are you sure it was serialized in 1898 and not before? I don't know much about Colt dates, but I know something about S&W and Winchester dates, and those charts you see online (such as Proofhouse) and by Madis, can be off by 2 or 3 years. Also, I know that S&W serial numbers were not serialized consecutively. What I would have done, is to check with CFC just to see if it is an antique by their records (which is what customs may actually have done). If it is antique by their records, then you are alright. If it turns out it wasn't, then you could immediately ship it back with a 'refusal to accept' note. In the future, as I'm sure you will now do, an RCMP letter will help avoid stuff like this, or at least a quick check with the serial number to a CFC technician.
 
i looked up a email from 2 years ago.

Thank you for your correspondence. Please be advised that the Colt model 1892 New Army & Navy DoubleAction (AKA 1892), with examples being evaluated for Antique statusmust have a serial number in the range of 1 to 91199; serial numbers of91200 to 272000 were produced beginning in 1898 and would be classified as restricted (having a 4.5" barrel). Sincerely,BrendaRCMP Canadian Firearms ProgramCPS Communications
 
I'm somewhat relieved that you didn't chop a genuine antique, given that note from the RCMP CFP. However, I would have suggested shipping it back with a note stating your refusal to accept the shipment.
 
Then it sure would have been easier to look up the manufacturing date before you bought it.

Ya really if a seller cant give you a full Serial # they can do 98### like that so you woulda known before you imported the thing.

A guy saying "oh ya its antique" is never good enough grounds to import a firearm.

Ive had sellers say they wont give out the Ser # i say fine tell me what thousands its in.
www.coltparts.com has pretty good colt dates showing the year and the cut off ser #.
they still have a year on us tho.
 
Funny thing is... the barrel is the prohib part and still is if you cut only the action.. IIRC. You may have been able to put the gun into the system as restricted if you removed the barrel and had them put it in as a receiver only.

Wrap your head around this... you take the 3" barrel off a pistol made after 1898 (and properly registered as prohib) and you can put a longer barrel on and have it changed to restricted (at least you used to... might have changed), and the barrel is considered a prohibited part all by itself.
But what about a 3" barrel off a pistol made before 1898 (and therefore antique status)... does it become prohib when you remove it from the pistol?

This stuff can give you quite the headache.
 
You do know that it is only the barrel that is prohibited. You could have removed the barrel and the gun would be perfectly legal. Sure a replacement barrel may be difficult to obtain but it beats cutting an old gun in half, which IMO is close to murder.

This is what I thought soon as I saw the first post. Easy to turn a longer barrel for an 1892, I even have a blank for a .41 LC pistol barrel 5" long I would have sold to the project for a pittance to save an old gun. Shame.
 
This is what I thought soon as I saw the first post. Easy to turn a longer barrel for an 1892, I even have a blank for a .41 LC pistol barrel 5" long I would have sold to the project for a pittance to save an old gun. Shame.

i thought of this also. i do have 2-3 spare barrels for the colt 1892. but i sold the cut frame for parts. and no longer have it. all the parts from the gun was moved onto a antique frame.

and i dont have my restricted.

well this is my new toy. on it's way to me in the mail made in 1895. like the custom barrel? lol... all it needs now is a scope mount lol...
2234567.jpg
 
It would be interesting to see how that long barrel shoots. I find that the longer the barrel, the easier it is to shoot accurately due to that long sight radius.
 
I guess for future reference it would be a good idea to give the seller the range the serial # must fall within and just get him to give you the yes/no.
 
the bore is .395 and a groove of .401 ,so it should be nice to shoot.

What are your chamber throat Dias ?
Takes more than a long barrel to get a gun to shoot good.
My best shooters have the same bore Dia as chamber throat Dia.
If you have a bigger chamber throat than bore dia the guns dont normally shoot as good. also barrel to cylinder gap should be nice a tight for good groups like .004 tho.
then theres the loads ect.
 
Back
Top Bottom