Cap 'n ball start up supplies

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
OK , I sucked it up and ordered one. A Pietta .44 1851 navy, steel frame
I've got a kentucky rifle in a .45 at home already (gear to run it), so I'm familiar with the sport.
But I've never handled a cap-n-ball before. Lots of pistols and revolvers; just never a cap-n-ball.
Any suggestions as to do or don't do?
Grade and brand of powder. Grains for normal loads.
Bullet styles and weights.
Size and or brand of caps.
Any help from more experienced hands will always be appriecated.
Thanks Tokguy
 
OK , I sucked it up and ordered one. A Pietta .44 1851 navy, steel frame
I've got a kentucky rifle in a .45 at home already (gear to run it), so I'm familiar with the sport.
But I've never handled a cap-n-ball before. Lots of pistols and revolvers; just never a cap-n-ball.
Any suggestions as to do or don't do?
Grade and brand of powder. Grains for normal loads.
Bullet styles and weights.
Size and or brand of caps.
Any help from more experienced hands will always be appriecated.
Thanks Tokguy

.44 you'll have to experiment a bit. .44 ball sizes it will like may vary .451, .454, .457

Caps - my Pietta 1851 Navy (.36) likes the #11 remingtons the best. Yours should have the same nipples

Goex FFFg black powder - black is where its at!

A loading stand is handy

Do you have a flask and powder measure?

Some crisco to put on top of the balls.

Nipple wrench.

I think that's all the stuff I have.
 
Thank you. I'm writing this stuff down. Is it reasonable to expect to P/U these supplies at WSS?
One other question. I'd read that the flask style dispensers were a bad idea. Something about a spark in the barrel turns them into a grenade. Is this unfounded? On the strength of that I always preloaded my charges into Zig-Zags ( no dude NOT that one ).
If there is a favored supplier; a smaller outfit that is good to deal with , I'd give them a try before WSS.
 
Pretty unlikely in a short revolver chamber. But you still need a way to pour gunpowder into your powder measure. The Goex can isn't gonna work.

I say good luck getting any of this stuff in Canada. Check Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works in the states. They ship to Canada by post. (don't use couriers)
 
Check out Hillfolk Muzzeloaders Supply in Senlac Sk., they will be able to supply most including real Black Powder which may be the hardest kit to find.
 
You wouldn't have contact info on them would you? I'm in Sask right now, be de-mobilizing within a week. Might stop and drop some money on some supplies.
Again thanks
 
Hillfolk musket supplies Senlac sask. (306)228-2949 Good for almost everything.
Caroline supplies .Caroline Ab.(403)722-3922 Lube,wads,measures and balls,$$BP
Lock and load.Edmonton,Ab.(780)425-4444 Cheaper$BP sometimes accessories
P&D enterprises.Edmonton,AB(780)420-6419 Caps,balls and sometimes accessories
Now let the hunt begin!!
 
I have an 1851 Colt Navy .36 on order as well, while I am waiting I am casting .375 conical bullets using a Lee's dual mold. Had a few start up problems casting the bullets but now it is working great. Everyone so far has said to go with real black powder instead of B.P. substitutes even if it has some fairly serious drawbacks. (ie corrosive ).
To prevent chainfires someone suggested mixing Crisco with bees wax to make it thicker and less messy. As far as lube for the bullet I don't know what I am going to use. As far as chainfires are concerned they can occur as a result of the caps falling off under recoil, exposing the chamber full of powder to blast coming from the adjacent cylinder being fired. I am going to make a point of checking ALL the caps after each shot at least to begin with just to make sure.:eek:
 
Pietta says 12-15 gr of FFFg. That seems a little weak. I thought I'd read someone's favorite load was higher 26 gr. Anyone got a personal recipe they want to share.
Even the powder flasks throw more than that...
Anyone...
 
I've shot up to 25 gr in mine. It likes 20 gr as far as accuracy goes.

It might shoot better with even lighter loads, but then you'll have to look into using filler so the ball isn't seated so deep in the chamber that accuracy is hurt.
 
You have to be careful with your loads as some BP firearms are built with different types of metal for their various components.EG.Is it a open top brass frame or a closed top steel frame.Is it .36 cal or is it .44 cal. Go with what the manufacturer recommends and be careful on the loads.
 
Thank you. I'm writing this stuff down. Is it reasonable to expect to P/U these supplies at WSS?
One other question. I'd read that the flask style dispensers were a bad idea. Something about a spark in the barrel turns them into a grenade. Is this unfounded? On the strength of that I always preloaded my charges into Zig-Zags ( no dude NOT that one ).
If there is a favored supplier; a smaller outfit that is good to deal with , I'd give them a try before WSS.
Marstar has everything you will need. Don't forget the cap dispenser, trying to put them on with fingers is frustrating. Give the caps a squeeze before putting them on the nipples, this will prevent the recoil from knocking them off. I never believed that a chainfire came from the cylinder bore. A proper fitting ball should go in tight enough to tear off a ring of lead sealing it. Lube of course is needed to soften the fouling. If you make sure the caps are on tight I wouldn't worry. Never had that happen to me. If you use black powder be prepared to clean the cylinder and area after maybe 12 shots as it will jam. Got tired of that and used Pyrodex P. Good luck, they are a lot of fun to shoot.
 
cap and ball

Marstar has everything you will need. Don't forget the cap dispenser, trying to put them on with fingers is frustrating. Give the caps a squeeze before putting them on the nipples, this will prevent the recoil from knocking them off. I never believed that a chainfire came from the cylinder bore. A proper fitting ball should go in tight enough to tear off a ring of lead sealing it. Lube of course is needed to soften the fouling. If you make sure the caps are on tight I wouldn't worry. Never had that happen to me. If you use black powder be prepared to clean the cylinder and area after maybe 12 shots as it will jam. Got tired of that and used Pyrodex P. Good luck, they are a lot of fun to shoot.

I have never been able to put a cap on a revolver with a cap dispenser.The nipple is to close to the cylinder to allow the fingers of the cap dispenser to clear.Also if you use a product like wonder lube to seal your cylinders, or a 50/50 mix of Crisco and natural beeswax you can shoot well over 50 rounds before fouling might be a problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom