Score! Sorta...

drache

BANNED
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
BANNED
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
Well Ive been talking with one of the employees here about guns off and on and told him about my little golf ball mortar and he just gave me a box of Thermalite Ingnitor Cord.

And on top of that a friend in Quesnel said that one of the gun stores up there just got the black powder I wanted in, so I might be headed up there during my days off (although granted by the time I pay for gas there and back it would pretty much be the same price to order it online :p)

I wonder what the Williams Lake Gun Range's rules on cannons are :D
 
I am interested in cannons myself and tend to make small ones ( <.50 inches ) that are over built and start with small charges. The big problem with homemade cannons is the question of safety ( I am assuming yours is homemade ). If your cannon is not proofed there may be a liability issue,check with your range and lowball the charges....:D
 
[youtube]IvMDWcBPumg[/youtube]

This was 4 tables spoons of powder instead of the normal two. :D

45219_465067732106_617997106_6925672_5533540_n.jpg
 
Make sure you don't have any airspace between your charge and the ball. If you are 'low-balling' the charge you may be doing that.

Some wadding behind the ball (over the powder charge) and some compression should give you consistent results.

I am assuming your igniter cord hole goes to the very back of the powder chamber?
 
Make sure you don't have any airspace between your charge and the ball. If you are 'low-balling' the charge you may be doing that.

Some wadding behind the ball (over the powder charge) and some compression should give you consistent results.

I am assuming your igniter cord hole goes to the very back of the powder chamber?

are you talking about the other two try videos? The first one was only half a tablespoon as that was the last of the black powder. The second try was my first time with triple se7en and the problem was the powder wasnt all the way to the back of the cannon. All the shots after try #3 were perfect.
 
Darn! Just GOLLY GEE WHIZ!!!

I just KNEW those things were good for something besides inducing myocardial infarctions!

Lot better than chasing the d*&%*d things around that big pasture all day and whacking them with a stick.
.
 
I've heard of a version of golf played with a bow and arrow.
Ever tried 9 holes with your mortar?
 
cannon load

good morning-by my measure one level tablespoon is 246 grains-waaay over the top. on a .50 mini cannon 20 grains is plenty to get good accuracy. most of your powder is burning after leaving the barrel. be sure to duck.
 
good morning-by my measure one level tablespoon is 246 grains-waaay over the top.

1 tablespoon launches a golf ball only about 50 feet. 2 tablespoons launches about 400 feet+ (couldn't find the gold ball to actually measure but it wasn't within the 375 feet of the gravel pit we walked looking for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom