Interesting conversation with CFC today

Of course there are so many antiques used in crimes........

"I'll bust a percussion cap on your a$$" just doesn't have the same ring to it....

Keep in mind as soon as a Antique is used in any sort of crime it looses its antique status.
how that happens i dont know.
But by rights the headlines should never read antiques used in crime spree.
As soon as the guns started doing bad things there antique status is gone.
So by rights we should never know how many antiques were used in any crimes,

of course its Just More of which came frist the chicken or the egg. :p
 
it will avoid me Nazi-like treatment by the SQ (provincial police) and/or a firearms inspector at the range, if they ever happen to start asking questions about registration certificates and 4" barrels on some of the revolvers I bring

Why would an investigator trust a letter more then your word or thier interpretation of the regs? If they do not believe you why would they believe a piece of home printed paper? Chances are they would just get excited about the possibility of laying 'uttering false documents' charges. Could a bad guy just make up a 'letter' for thier unregistered handgun and expect to be sent on thier way when questioned about it'? My dis interest in the letters is that I am pretty certain they will not reduce the stress (not my stress) associated with a field encounter. If I was an LEO and I did not know the act I am pretty sure I would'nt trust a piece of, paper. I'd still have that unregistered revolver in the trunk the owner in the back seat and would be taking a drive to where ever my boss/the firearms guy was. No tinfoil here I just fail to see what the upside of voluntarily registering my toys. Why do something that gives you no benefit?

With tinfoil on: if the old system of not 'registering' antiques on your PAL did not need fixing, why did they change it? Someone had to have made a justification for the change in policy/procedure. Remember they are gov employees nothing gets done with out exhaustive thought, reflection, brainstorming and feedback. I am not screaming falling sky or jackbooted gun grabbers I am simply stating the obvious that there was a reason for the change. This reason is currently unknown and does not appear to be in the immediate best interest of antique collectors.
 
Why would an investigator trust a letter more then your word or thier interpretation of the regs?
The RCMP letters have a barcode on them and a date. Anyone who wants to verify that the letter is legit can easily do so. If an officer of the law wants to lay frivolous charges, he/she is free to do so, but I would be filing a formal complaint with Police Services and make sure that the officer was disciplined for doing so.
 
As long as I know the date of manufacture of the gun and that the caliber meets the proper requirements for antique status, I wont ask them for any letter. I would rather keep my antiques invisible just in case they want them.
 
Anyone who wants to verify that the letter is legit can easily do so

That is exactly right and a good investigator will verify the letter the same way they would verify the gun (with or without a letter). Point being they are'nt gonna trust either the gun or the letter until verification is complete. The letter makes most antique owners feel better cause they can't stand being trusted with out some form of paper work. LOL.
 
That is exactly right and a good investigator will verify the letter the same way they would verify the gun (with or without a letter). Point being they are'nt gonna trust either the gun or the letter until verification is complete. The letter makes most antique owners feel better cause they can't stand being trusted with out some form of paper work. LOL.

Sad but so true eh,
 
The RCMP letters have a barcode on them and a date. Anyone who wants to verify that the letter is legit can easily do so. If an officer of the law wants to lay frivolous charges, he/she is free to do so, but I would be filing a formal complaint with Police Services and make sure that the officer was disciplined for doing so.

My thoughts exactly... and, may I add, the particular dept at fault would owe me some money when we're done, for having violated my rights (unlawful seizure/arrest).

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and that goes both ways.

;)


As for the letter... I'd rather have my word AND an official RCMP verification letter than my word alone. Any LEO who dismisses an official document made by the authority on firearms in this country is an incompetent idiot and looking for trouble. They could not take my word, but they have to consider the official letter... and if the letter HAS to be printed on my printer (as the CFC techs send it via e-mail), then that's what it's gonna be. At the end of the day, the letter will make things much easier and is verifiable, whereas my "own" letters of research & legal status (or my word) are not.

As a taxpayer, you pay for the service anyway... so use it!

.
 
Antique letter = waste of time. I have wet dreams thinking about how I will sue their @sses if they ever confiscate my antiques without legislative authority. and if they are returned in less then my photo-documented condition, I will sue again ;)

I know it's not cost effective, but everything to obstruct the geheimstatzpolitzei serving on the RCMP firearms goon squads. It's a matter of principle and I'm a man of reasonable means ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom